SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
PN comes back to Auto 04-05 R axle. Curious to see it next to an actual M66 Passenger axle.

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
How do people's axles typically fail, anyway? The CV joints? The bearing, when there is one?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if that axle is similar, but not the same as the proper M66 pass axle. I'd bet that the Amzn axle is the incorrect length, but someone got it all to fit together. Maybe that led to it's premature demise?

You recently buy your R? There's not much to a CV axle. It's just a solid steel rod with a pressed on bearing. Only stuff that really can have a prob is the CV boot, bearing, and inner bearing races/balls/socket of axle. The factory GKN axles are pretty dang good. Go find a salvage axle and get it rebuilt by CVJ.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Gottaroll
The boot exploded on it about 5k ago. No tears just the band came off the boot. I regreased it and put a new band on.
It recently started grinding and and making some vibrations in the cabin at speed while turning. So I figured it was the axle, I did the wheel bearing at the same time though. So far, so good

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if that boot popped off because of incorrect axle length. On a proper length axle, that boot largely stays in place, even without it being clamped down, during normal articulation. It is only when you stretch the axle apart with the hub detached that the boot and joint automatically disassemble... Gotta wonder if someone realigned your front end with that funky axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts