SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting tons of snow in my area this year, and I am having exactly zero fun with broken AWD. So I decided to finally dive in and fix it.

Plan:
- remove angle gear assembly
- replace stripped collar
- Killer AWD drifts yo!

Well, things didn't quite go to plan.

Angle Gear Removed:

Yep, that collar is well stripped:

Here is the Angle Gear side:

Ruh Ro:

Yeah. That's bad news bears. Teeth are fully stripped off the shaft. No killer drifts yet. The project is on hold until I can source another Angle Gear. But, this is my Daily Driver so:

FWD Conversion:

Just left the collar in place and reinstalled the AWD axle. I am sourcing an 80k mile Angle Gear for $100. Should be here next week. Hopefully after all this I don't find out the Haldex is bad too, lol.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some notes on the repair process:
- Driveshaft is in there pretty tight. Have to unbolt both carrier bearings to get enough room to slip it off and wiggle the angle gear out the bottom.
- Trans fill plug can be accessed with a regular socket and extension. Just have a helper pry the engine/trans forward a bit.
- Holy crap, Turbo access is way better with this thing removed!
- The entire AWD system totally fits in the back.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Ouch!

Decent solution to go FWD but be careful about that transmission seal. Not sure it's spec'd for being exposed like it would be on a stock FWD.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seals all appeared to be regular old axle seals. I was surprised as they all seemed to be in good shape for the miles.

The car has 165k miles on it from a road salt area. I got it at 140k. I'm pretty sure the AWD initially worked, but the collar was quite rusty and must have been hanging on by a thread. I did 2 (okay maybe 3) moderate launches on very wet pavement to "try out the AWD". This was before I knew the AWD on these is apparently made of glass, lol. I'm also an Audi guy and you're generally pretty hard pressed to get any quattro parts to break at stock power. The most you can usually do is break a worn out CV joint or something. Lesson learned.

I figured the angle gear (transfer case) would be a more expensive item, considering the failures, so that was a pleasant surprise. Anyway, should have it fixed up in a week or two. I have new trans, angle gear, and haldex oils on the way as well - so everything should be in tip top shape. Will update with "round 2".

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
LOL, I had a 2000 A4 1.8TQM also. Did exactly one hard launch AWD test. All I got was a burnt clutch smell. Lesson learned. :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
That probably means the car was abused before because I've done lots of awd testing and it sticks like glue; or, you go sideways.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. During the "conversion" I figured the internal snap ring is what kept the collar in place. After a little research, that's apparently not the case. So I'm depending fully on the collar being frozen to the transmission to keep it from falling off.

I've put maybe 300 miles on it so far and inspected just now and all seems well. The internets have been correct so far regarding the condition I'd find things, so I'm pretty certain it's fused on there pretty good. I did tap it a couple times and tug on it. It seemed to be one piece with the differential, so I probably don't have anything to worry about.

I just wanted to mention this for anyone reading this thread later on. This is not really an approved conversion method. If the collar slides out, you will lose most of the Gear Oil pretty quickly and could junk the transmission in short order. I'm only running it this way temporarily until I get another transfer case.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update:

FWD Conversion held up just fine in the interim. There was definitely no need for me to worry - that thing was stuck on there TIGHT.

The first transfer case that was delivered from the junkyard was basically junk. It wasn't fully stripped, but almost there:

The junkyard had 2 more of these transfer cases, so they agreed to send all of them to the shop so I could pick the one I want, and send back the rest. So that put things on hold for another 2 weeks. But it worked out because I got this very nice one for $100. Score.

Finally the car is back on the rack and we are attacking the frozen collar. The mechanic I'm working with wanted to try to cut a slot and just pry it off first.

That did not work. So he welded 2 tabs on the inside to fit a slide hammer and then heated with an oxy-acetylene torch.

This worked pretty well. We did have to clean up some burring and stuck material on the splines to get the new collar on, but it all went together. I'm pretty sure the new one will be equally hard to remove, though.

Anyway, AWD is BACK! I backed it out of the shop and immediately tried to see how much rear wheel spin I could get in the snowy parking lot. Exactly NONE. The car just took off as if on dry pavement. lol. I haven't put tons of miles on it yet, but having the AWD working doesn't seem to make the traction 2x better. It's more like 3x or 4x better. I can also confirm the "Instant Traction" trademark is accurate. There is no perceivable delay waiting for anything to kick in. It feels direct and instant. As an added bonus, my ridiculous stickers are no longer just lies.

TLDR: Instant Traction is Instant. If yours is broken, it is worth the messing around to get it working. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Love your stickers! It's funny you mention getting a transfer case from a junk yard - I picked up a low mileage one off eBay a while back expecting that at some point I'll have to do this too. But yeah the awd is instant in these cars and they are difficult to get to break loose without getting nutty. Though when you do, it's like instant sideways action. I bet it looks pretty funny to see a v50 go sideways with all 4 wheels screaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Junkyard is the only option I see. Not paying 2.3 million dollars for one from Volvo. Lol.

If they couldn't come through with a good one, I was planning on welding it or something.

I hope to have some more ridiculous stickers soon. Will share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Anyway, AWD is BACK! I backed it out of the shop and immediately tried to see how much rear wheel spin I could get in the snowy parking lot. Exactly NONE. The car just took off as if on dry pavement. lol. I haven't put tons of miles on it yet, but having the AWD working doesn't seem to make the traction 2x better. It's more like 3x or 4x better. I can also confirm the "Instant Traction" trademark is accurate. There is no perceivable delay waiting for anything to kick in. It feels direct and instant. As an added bonus, my ridiculous stickers are no longer just lies.
Nice, happy for you! Enjoy the transformed car now! :)
As for "instant traction" - I agree as also had a chance to test&record the takeoff attempt on sheer ice - wheelspin of both axles is instant, like not even a quarter of wheel turn difference. For some reason I always thought rear will "gradually join the front after recieving a fax message to come along" but no - it looks like permanent AWD from the second you floor it. Looks great from outside :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, Doctor!

Regarding the "instant" bit, I actually got the chance recently to do a slow motion video recording of a V70R doing a launch on snow and ice. I believe the S60R/V70R is one Haldex generation behind ours. There was a small amount of delay with rear axle engagement on that car. About 90 degrees (1/4 turn) of the front wheel before the rear axle kicked in. Supposedly that is right on track with what it should be. Our Haldex is supposed to be improved to require only 15 or 20 degrees of front wheel spin, which seems almost impossibly fast. I'll try to get a similar recording of my car for comparison and post both here soon.

Another noticeable difference with the AWD in place is the drivetrain weight. Going from FWD to AWD, I can very much feel the weight of the Angle Gear ring and pinion and the weight of the driveshaft. I notice it a little bit on acceleration, but mostly when braking. And mostly below 10 miles per hour. Enough that I rolled a little ways past a few stop signs already - expecting the brakes to stop me sooner. The brakes are working fine, it's just all this extra mass they have to slow down now. The same feeling as having heavy wheels. It's not terrible, just something to get used to.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
515 Posts
I've posted this once before but I have a slowmo of my 07 slight fwd spin but very quick split second AWD action.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
515 Posts
Interesting. Looks like power goes f>r>f
My guess is it was a close to 50/50 split but the other side was spinning because of the lack of LSD.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, a week with AWD has not been good. It's been great! We just got some more snow delivered, and my little red wagon is kicking butt. It is such a difference to look at a steep, icy and snowy hill and just "ain't care" and blast to the top, where previously it was more like "OK, Panic".

Hopefully I can find a good parking lot tonight and mess around a bit.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well, a week with AWD has not been good. It's been great! We just got some more snow delivered, and my little red wagon is kicking butt. It is such a difference to look at a steep, icy and snowy hill and just "ain't care" and blast to the top, where previously it was more like "OK, Panic".

Hopefully I can find a good parking lot tonight and mess around a bit.
*cough* record&post! *cough*
:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts