SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just found an M58 with 89k miles on it for $650. I do want to do a manual swap, but won't get to it until next summer (Yup, Alaska). I know these are relatively rare, but is it worth snapping it up right now? I really have no idea how often they come along. Oh yeah, freight from Canada is $250, but the dude said he would throw in whatever linkage/pedal/stuffs he could find. Worth it??!?! I need some encouragement before dumping this kind of cash.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
What year R or XC?
98 DO IT!
99-2000 you may have ECU issues.
Ask Brandon at IPD about his M58 swap on his 98 Saff. Apparently it went quite well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be into my 2000R. I would have a ECU tune done from Lucky at ARD, I hear he has it worked out for the problem child years like mine.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Then go for it

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you like manual then do it for sure. If I had an AWD car I'd be looking into an M66 as they're more common but probably require more customizing. The M58 should be plug and play.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I love my M58. As long as Lucky has worked out the ECU issues then go for it!

That's really not a bad deal if it's 900 shipped for a gearbox with reasonable mileage. The gearbox is probably from an 850 AWD though so you probably want to get pedals from a manual S/V70 rather than the 850.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips, now I just need to figure out the shipping... Apparently I need to make the freight arrangements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts