SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week my T5M got backed into in a somewhat poorly lit parking lot.
Their white Equinox bumper caught some of the fender and the drivers side door, door will be getting replaced. Of course they took off, though witnesses got a partial plate number.

Don't think it caught the front wheel, which was turned. But, ever since it happened there is a rythmic clicking noise only when accelerating in 1st through 4th. DOn't seem to hear it in 5th.

On an M56, is 5th gear run on a separate shaft from 1 to 4? Have seen other FWD transmissions set up this way. There is not much clicking on decel in gear, and it goes away immediaely when you push the clutch in. My understanding is that when the dual mass flywheel goes bad its more of a clunk (e.g. if on/off the gas). Am hinking a bearing has gone bad on the 1 to 4 gearshaft.

Car is on jackstands right now to check the CV joints carefully. The traction control gets quite upset if you try to row through the gears with the front wheels in the air.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Can try turning DSTC spin control off. Bad bearings generally growl/hum/whine while clicking is usually indicative of a flat spot or slack in a CV joint.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly coming from drivers side, which got a NAPA axle around 2011, 80 K miles ago. Seems like a lot of lash in the pinion to ring gear, going to try to isolate the drivers CV tonight.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Is that axle rezeppa type inner cv or tripod?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think its tripod, will check tonight. Unfortuantely the "clicking frequency" goes up with engine RPM under load, low to high with each gear change.

Do dual mass flywheels ever do such a thing?

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Think its tripod, will check tonight. Unfortuantely the "clicking frequency" goes up with engine RPM under load, low to high with each gear change.

Do dual mass flywheels ever do such a thing?
DMF fail as the springs wear out and the flywheel becomes 2 separate masses. Mines pretty toast but doesn’t click. Under load everything in the trans should be quiet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Was wrong, the drivers side axle has a round shape to the inner CV joint/transaxle end. Held it as still as possible and rocked the wheel, no obvious play. Couldn't get my largest channel locks around the inner end for leverage.

Time to drain and refill the trans fluid (had swapped to Redline MTX D4 perviously) and see if there is any metal.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
drained the trans and refilled with Redline MTL. Definetely quieted it down initially, but noise is coming back. Louder when under higher torque load, loudest in second, then third, then fourth, then first.

In fifth it there is no noise at all, thus my original question - is the torque path on 5th gear in the M56 through a separate gear/shaft?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts