SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a shift knob/boot for my 2000 V70R, but I have a shifter assembly from a 1996 850. I've read that the shifters are not compatible, but not exactly how. Is there any reason at all I couldn't use an X70 shift knob/boot on my 850 shifter? I'm tired of having my 850 boot that doesn't match flop around in the console.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Shift lever itself is different.

Youd need to cut a groove in the shaft for it to work with the 99+ knob and boot.

Hint hint p2 shift knobs work on those.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shift lever itself is different.

Youd need to cut a groove in the shaft for it to work with the 99+ knob and boot.

Hint hint p2 shift knobs work on those.
Hmm... so I can use a P2 shift knob on the 850 shifter? Interestingly enough my cousin just grabbed a P2 M56 space ball shifter today. Might have to do some testing...

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Hmm... so I can use a P2 shift knob on the 850 shifter? Interestingly enough my cousin just grabbed a P2 M56 space ball shifter today. Might have to do some testing...
Sort of.

I'll post a pic of the 99+ shifter and the -98/850 style one so you can see the difference.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sort of.

I'll post a pic of the 99+ shifter and the -98/850 style one so you can see the difference.
Awesome, thanks! I haven't dealt with too many manual P80s (or at least the shifters), so I'm not sure of the differences.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,437 Posts
If you don't end up converting, there is a C70 manual shift knob that's very nice. For the boot, there is a company that will custom-make those for a reasonable price. I believe it's redline, but I could be mistaken. Been a while since I did mine, but happy with the results. Here's the part number for the shift knob: 8671189.

This thread might be helpful: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?117217-V70-T5m-Shift-Knob-Upgrade

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
8671189 is discontinued. At least as a P80 listing part. Its the same as the P2's.

Heres all the 5 speed pattern shifter knobs that fit the grooved shaft 99+ style with "quick change"

Base Plastic (decent shape but nothing special)

Leather, identical to the p80 one

5 Speed "Sport" (I have this and its killer. Really really really nice in your hand)

Base vs Sport:

Installed on my 03:

There are a few wood/wood effect ones too, if you want PN's on those just ask. Theyre a little harder to dig up.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't end up converting, there is a C70 manual shift knob that's very nice. For the boot, there is a company that will custom-make those for a reasonable price. I believe it's redline, but I could be mistaken. Been a while since I did mine, but happy with the results. Here's the part number for the shift knob: 8671189.

This thread might be helpful: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?117217-V70-T5m-Shift-Knob-Upgrade
Yup, RedlineGoods.com. I remember stumbling upon their site a while back when I was looking into redoing my steering wheel, since my R's steering wheel leather is pretty nasty.

I'm going to see what I can find. I think the most important part I need is the trim ring that attaches the shift boot to the center console, whether I get a nice used boot or I get a new one from them. Otherwise I'd like a nicer shift knob than the stock rubber one, whether that be a newer leather one from a C70 or something aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8671189 is discontinued. At least as a P80 listing part. Its the same as the P2's.

Heres all the 5 speed pattern shifter knobs that fit the grooved shaft 99+ style with "quick change"

Base Plastic (decent shape but nothing special)

Leather, identical to the p80 one

5 Speed "Sport" (I have this and its killer. Really really really nice in your hand)

Base vs Sport:

Installed on my 03:

There are a few wood/wood effect ones too, if you want PN's on those just ask. Theyre a little harder to dig up.
Cool, I like that sport knob! I might try to track one of those down.

So am I able to modify the 850 shaft to accept these knobs, or should I try to find an X70 shaft? For some reason X70 manual parts are impossible to find, but the 850 stuff is everywhere. I still need an X70 clutch pedal so I can use a return spring.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Cool, I like that sport knob! I might try to track one of those down.

So am I able to modify the 850 shaft to accept these knobs, or should I try to find an X70 shaft? For some reason X70 manual parts are impossible to find, but the 850 stuff is everywhere. I still need an X70 clutch pedal so I can use a return spring.
Can modify, can also swap the base. Realistically its just the shaft itself thats different.

Heres one https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-00-99-V...318719?hash=item3b2b682fbf:g:gV4AAOSwaEZca~yI

·
Registered
17,314 Posts

See the groove and the slot?

Slot takes this collar

The shift knob goes down over that and then the boot base slides up onto it.

The groove is just to center/align the knob

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link! I may make an offer on that one, that will get me everything I need for right now. Like I said, the biggest issue for me is the boot. I hate how the 850 boot just flops around in the console.

Ah, I see now. It would be easier to just get the newer style rod, but it could be modified.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,437 Posts
Mine (discontinued) looks like the second one down ("leather"). Might have been renumbered. However, now having seen the "sport" version, I would get that. Probably feels the same as the "leather", but I like the look better.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Mine (discontinued) looks like the second one down ("leather"). Might have been renumbered. However, now having seen the "sport" version, I would get that. Probably feels the same as the "leather", but I like the look better.
Sport knob is smaller and more ergonomic than the earlier leather. Having replaced the standard leather with the sport in the 03

1 - 14 of 14 Posts