SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Volvo S60 T5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first car this spring, a 2002 S60 T5 with a space ball M56, and have been gradually getting it back to feeling like a new car. So far that's almost exclusively been replacing bushings that were overlooked or ignored by previous owners. Now the next step in that adventure is the pair of shifter bushings on the top side of the transmission. Eventually I plan to replace the shift linkage with Snabb's short shifter, but as a broke engineering student I want to manufacture replacement bushings in the meantime myself.

I've been scouring forums and parts lists but can't find a part number specific to the bushing to get any dimensions. If anybody has measured or happen to know the dimensions of either the OEM version or an aftermarket replacement it would save me a lot of time and stress in trying to measure from the old mangled bushings...

Also, if anybody has any ideas or opinions about aluminum vs steel, or whether or not I should use o-rings on the bushing, please let me know as well! Below are a couple pics of the clapped out bushing and an older one of the car for attention!
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hose Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Maybe some Delrin bushings! Snabb makes some brass inserts, which you can get separately from their short throw shifter.

Someone out their might know the dimensions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Volvo S60 T5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe some Delrin bushings! Snabb makes some brass inserts, which you can get separately from their short throw shifter.

Someone out their might know the dimensions.

I did a bit of research on delrin and it looks pretty good for it, but I don't have a way to manufacture it myself. I looked into Snabb's options and I'd already have ordered one if it weren't for the cost of international shipping, so I hope to hold off on any orders until I'm getting the shift linkage and maybe some intake piping :)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
You can buy Delrin stock. All you need is someone with a lathe to turn it for you.

·
Registered
17,997 Posts
Skip the short shifter. Doesn’t work. Makes your cables fail.

Pop the worn bushing out, measure the ID of the ring and the OD of the lever shaft. That’s your dimensions for making a bushing. Delrin and other plastics are generally self lubricating, metal won’t be.

·
Registered
2002 Volvo S60 T5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the overall thickness? I see that many aftermarket options are thicker than the OEM part and seem to have a step for the ring to sit on.
If any of the plastic shops in town offer delrin for cheap then I'll probably give that a go, it would be a whole lot faster for me to machine too!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I'd put the step on it. With the clip on the other side to secure it in place.

You can find Delrin online, too.

·
Registered
2002 Volvo S60 T5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! I managed to sneak into the shop yesterday to get the delrin turned down, only took about 30 mins for both bushings. The new shifter feel is infinitely better, it finally feels like I can row hard through the gears now. I feel proud to have put myself into the small group of people who have made a part for their own car :)

(1 - New bushings beside the old pair to show the extent of wear. 2 - The new bushings installed with the factory retainer clips in place.)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Rim

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Nice job! Can you share the dimensions with us? I might be doing this if I don't covert to the 03+ style levers/cables/shifter.

·
Registered
2002 Volvo S60 T5
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a plastic cable end and washer for the side-to-side shifter action, so the thickness of the small radius section is larger on that piece. The outer diameter of the step shouldn't matter as long as it's big enough to hold the cable end, mine are 1.20"

Outer diameter = 1.0", Inner diameter = 0.315", Cable end thickness = [front/back: 0.325", left/right: 0.450"], Bushing thickness = 0.675"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts