SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Time to change or upgrade your current transmission? Can't overhaul it? Recalled from an old post that it can be quite a big job and some even said it is not worth the trouble. That's just off hand recollection.
Perhaps someone has other idea and it can be a straight forward swap.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
IIRC, the casings on the manual transmissions are mostly the same. Folks have gone from M56's to 66's (or automatics to Mx6's) plenty over here. I think to get it to work properly though, you'd need to replace the shifter cables and shift assembly, but if you find the transmissions, those items shouldn't be far behind... ;)

The only other issue I can think of is finding the correct spline sleeve to mate between the new transmission and your angle gear. Both had changed spline patterns over the years, and it all would depend on what year you could source a transmission from.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC, the casings on the manual transmissions are mostly the same. Folks have gone from M56's to 66's (or automatics to Mx6's) plenty over here. I think to get it to work properly though, you'd need to replace the shifter cables and shift assembly, but if you find the transmissions, those items shouldn't be far behind... ;)

The only other issue I can think of is finding the correct spline sleeve to mate between the new transmission and your angle gear. Both had changed spline patterns over the years, and it all would depend on what year you could source a transmission from.
Many thanks Ads,
What about the clutches etc?
No issues in the gear shift lever area? - understanding I will need a spaceball as my lever reflects 5sp.
Either way its not going to be cheap :/

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Clutches should work fine so long as you are using an M58 presumably from an '02 now (i.e. a dual mass flywheel car). Not sure about the shift linkages though...maybe some minor modifications? At least you have to do some modification to the shift linkage when putting an M66 into the earlier P80 Volvos.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
"I think to get it to work properly though, you'd need to replace the shifter cables and shift assembly, but if you find the transmissions, those items shouldn't be far behind..."

I do believe the shifter will have to change as well, but that is 15 minutes worth of additional work (if even) if you're already swapping out the shifter cables. You may also be fine and not need to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts