SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’ve got a transmission open with the intention of installing a quaife. I have read the tutorial on VS and some other places it all seems straight forward. The only thing I seem to not understand is how the bearing preload gets set. I haven’t removed any bearing yet. But I was hoping to not only replace the two on the differential, but also the bearings on the gear shafts since the races don’t look great. There doesn’t seems to be any way to adjust the preload on any of these bearings and I can’t imagine that kind of tolerance stack-up being friendly to something as sensitive as preload. Furthermore you hear of people swapping gear packs from one transmission to another, but no one mentions bearing preload. Is this not a thing I need to worry about??

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
Races have fixed seats afaik from looking at disassembled 5 speeds. Double tapered opposing roller bearings won’t need much preload so I’m guessing that it’s the case to case clamp that sets that.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yay... I'm not the only nutcase that's replacing all bearings and races lol.

After taking my m56 apart to install the quaife, I dropped off the parts at a local transmission shop and had them do everything with their large press. Replaced every single bearing and race. It was easier for me to have them do it and there was no preload discussion that came up with it so like you, hoping that it's not something to worry about.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Built a quaifed FWD transmission (Mazda based) with a friend last month, a press and tools to push the outer races out were invaluable. That box uses thin shims underneath the outer race to set bearing preload.

The most important preload to set is for the output shaft bearings that suspend the differential. One can assemble the trans with a an outer race that has been turned down 0.001 or 2.

Then put a loop of sift solder underneath and mic it. Set the shim thickness to be equal to a few thou thicker than your solder thickness measurements. Aluminum case will grow thermally more than the steel differential assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts