SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've located a nice '89 245 with about 150k miles and the 5-speed M47 transmission. The bad news is the seller mentioned it was noisy in 5th gear.<p>Three questions I have for you guys:<p>1) If there was a bad bearing in the transmission, would it affect more than just 5th gear? Is this the beginning of the end?<p>2) How difficult is it to find an M47 transmission?<p>3) I heard the M46 was much more reliable than the M47? Any truth to that?<p>Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: M47 transmission (volvo240dl)

If the car is otherwise near-perfect buy it and fix the tranny.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: M47 transmission (volvo240dl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvo240dl</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've located a nice '89 245 with about 150k miles and the 5-speed M47 transmission. The bad news is the seller mentioned it was noisy in 5th gear.<p>1) If there was a bad bearing in the transmission, would it affect more than just 5th gear? Is this the beginning of the end?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Probably the transmission is nearing the end of its service life. The M47 II 5 speed manual transmission was introduced in 1990. It featured revised 5th gear shaft (lower in the case, below the fuild level in the transmission) for better lubrication and longer service life. Overall, much more reliable than the earlier M47s (as is probably fitted to the '89 you're interested in). <p><br><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvo240dl</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 2) How difficult is it to find an M47 transmission?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Not difficult. Should be available in any European wrecking yard. Just get an M47II.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvo240dl</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>3) I heard the M46 was much more reliable than the M47? Any truth to that?<p>Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The M46 was much more relaible than the M47 mk I, due to the latter's previously mentioned design flaw. That's why the M46 was used in the turbo models.<p>The M47II is on par with the M46 in terms of reliability.<p>Hope this helps,<p>Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts