SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting this issue just about every time I put my M47 into reverse gear. I'm at a complete stop, clutch is to the floor, and reverse will grind as if the clutch is engaged. All other gears, while at a stop, go in normally with no grinds. I figured if it was a clutch issue, it'd do the same for the forward gears.

Any thoughts? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I've been getting this issue just about every time I put my M47 into reverse gear. I'm at a complete stop, clutch is to the floor, and reverse will grind as if the clutch is engaged. All other gears, while at a stop, go in normally with no grinds. I figured if it was a clutch issue, it'd do the same for the forward gears.

Any thoughts? :rolleyes:
I don't know if the reverse on an M47 has a synchro but...

Is the shift linkage in good condition?

Same for TO/pilot bearings?

George Dill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George, I haven't had the trans out, so I'm not sure of the condition of the throwout or pilot bearings. My clutch cable had about 3/16" free play, so I adjusted it to 1/16th if that. 1st and 2nd gear goes in easier and reverse doesn't grind as of now. I should probably do a clutch job and service the trans though, it has 270k on it (trans not clutch) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
clutch cable had about 3/16" free play, so I adjusted it to 1/16th if that. 1st and 2nd gear goes in easier and reverse doesn't grind as of now.
Glad you got it to stop grinding. As a temporary work-around, I've taken to putting a car into reverse with the engine off OR sometime going from 2nd to reverse seems to go smoother than other gear transitions.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Check the reverse detent plate to see if it's adjusted properly. The specs are in both the Bentley and Haynes manuals. Oh yeah, check the shift lever too to make sure the plastic thingie (technical term ;) ) that lifts up so the the shift lever past the detent plate isn't fubarred.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The one thing to look out for with a possibly stretched cable is that when you adjust it enough to totally disengage the clutch, sometimes that means that the clutch will not engage with total pressure... hence causing slipping while accelerating. I think that the best fix would be to replace the cable, which I did myself about a year ago.
Temperatures also affect the cable. In my case, the clutch would totally disengage the transmission during the Winter, but during the Summer it didn't... causing some grinding while shifting into reverse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts