SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Swedespeed,<br>I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on overhauling overdrive transmissions?<br>I have a M410 that has sat dormant for the past (oh my god) 15 years. Should I give this transmission a birthday and overhaul with new gaskets, o-rings etc? I see there are J-type kits listed regularly on e-bay. Would this kit fit the M410 or are they for a smaller version J-type M41? I am apprehensive in pulling this down as I have read that they are tricky and you need a press to do some parts of the work as there are high pressure springs inside?<br>Are there any risks in just giving it a run after changing oil and doing a solenoid check?<br>Thanks, James.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: M410 overdrive (164 nut)

Just check the lube level, fill if needed, be sure everything is connected and go for a spin.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

I believe a J-type is a J=type is a J-type.<br>I get OD parts from Duane Hoberg in Kansas City because he is close to me. He posts on Brickboard as "odguru".<br>I think Dill is right - as the West Indians say, "Don't trouble trouble if trouble don't trouble you!" Try it out and if it works OK, GREAT!<br>If not, THEN think about O-rings, etc. I don't think there are any dangerous parts in there that will hurt you when you take them apart but it is good to keep track of what came from where so you only have to reassemble it ONCE.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: M410 overdrive (Walrus3)

As the others said, drive the thing.<p>I got a M410 from a parts car I bought that had sat dormant since the mid-80's. When I converted my 164 to manual, I fully expected to have to rebuild (or at least re-seal) the tranny. That was over two years ago now, and my OD works perfectly, with no leaks. Who knows -- you might get lucky like I did!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: M410 overdrive (R Salesman)

That's a relief. In conjunction with clutch bonded issue on other post I will give it a whirl and cross the fingers. Worked ok 15 years ago but required full fluid level to engage crisply with any little seep out the rear seal over time and it would start to take it's time engaging.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

For oil, I recommend the Shell Rotella T oil (I think it's 10w30). There's a bunch of folks who know a lot more than I that say the Rotella T is one of the only oils that still has high levels of zinc (or something) that makes it a lot slicker/closer to the type of oil used back in the 70's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: M410 overdrive (R Salesman)

Had a look into Rotella and doesn't seem we get it here in Australia, link: <A HREF="http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-15206.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/f....html</A><p>I have used ATF in M410 the past. Anyone gasping over the use of ATF?<p>James.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Some folks run ATF in the M41, so I don't see why not. <p>I've tried ATF and straight 30 and I feel that 30-weight is the best, especially for warmer climes.<p>BTW: don't run multi-grade oils in these old o/d boxes, as it will lead to frothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts