SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ho!

So I pulled the drive shaft out and replaced the u-joints. I noticed that there was a sticker on the drive shaft that said balanced by some company with welded washing on the drive shaft in various spots. Upon pulling the unit, it was in phase and the yokes all lines up. Upon putting it back, or attempting too, I noticed I could never put the splines together to keep it in phase???? Anyone know what I'm missing? If you pull the line apart and turn it slightly to the counter clockwise and slide it back in, its too far out of phase one way, if you pull the line apart and turn it slightly to clockwise and slide it back in, its too far out of phase the other way. Any thoughts? Its as if the splines prevent it from lining up a certain way?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you mean you didn't mark it and are starting from scratch, then yes it's possible to be 180° out. There is an odd number of splines. Try turning it a full 180 and see if it ends up in phase.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I flipped the shaft 180 degrees and it still doesnt line up. Any ideas, its about a 1/16th off being in phase.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Are you sure you're using the right definition of in phase? Have you googled images of 2 piece driveshafts? Here's a pic of mine in correct phase:

In the end it shouldn't matter if it's a tiny bit off, in my estimation the front driveshaft is square enough with the tranny that only the rear half matters, and you can't mess with it. If you still end up perplexed I'd try the closest thing you can do and see if it shakes. It probably won't.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it looks like i got the in phase thing down. It must have been messed with with cut down by po to add m41? Not sure how much vibration is ok to prevent rear end damage. Maybe i can take it in to a driveline shop?

·
Registered
550 Posts
A good shop might be a good idea. I used a heavy duty truck place to shorten mine for the overdrive.
Those guys do drive shafts all the time because truck drivers get stuck then twist the darn things. Mostly logging and gravel trucks.

Take it in an experienced guy will pretty much just look at it and tell you if it needs to be cut and welded back on the right way.
Now if they can do that and keep the length or not I don't know? Worst case it'd need a new tube. If you have a longer spare it might be cheaper to reuse that tube than buying new. I don't know but thay will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts