SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have modified the 25 pin APC boost box to adjust boost .5-1.5 bar for my RWD 240 and 740 Volvos. The SAAB boost controller can be used as a stand alone boost box. I have 2 versions. One is a 7524127 and the other is 7524150 . The modification is for all 25 pin APC boxes. These are easily found on ebay for cheap.

Remove resistors R42 and R138

Replace R42 with a solid jumper and R138 with a 40kohm resistor (mine was 39kohm).

Thats it. The next step is to change the 1kohm and 50kohm pots to digital ones with memory.

Regards.
Hubert

Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Digital pots make pushbutton adjustment possible. They can also be controlled by a MCU based remote terminal which will make it very eazy to change the setting and return to the original ones at any time. The remote terminal can be rewritten to an attractive GUI to control the boost controller. The last addition Id want is a spectrum analysis of the knock mic and cylinder pressure measurement.

Here is a description and pinout of the dpot.

Regards,
Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the 25 pin APC models and their respective settings. This also list the model SAAB's the box can be salvaged from.

Regards,
Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The APC boxes with the basic modification described here to control boost from 7 to 22 pounds
Regards,
Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Since this GT3582 is for an external wastegate I have to decide if I want to run the external waste gate with the tubular header or should I just buy the 5 bolt IW turbine housing. I've always used the internal waste gate turbos but considered the external wastegate to use with the electronic boost controller. I know I don't really want to expel into the air off the external unit but worry about the structural integrity of venting it back through the down pipe. I would like to keep the exhaust for this project 3 inches . The internal wastegate seems to be the easiest solution but the pricing is about the same for the external gate and the labor to make it work. The internal wastegate housing is $219.00 and a 44mm wastegate flange an j pipe is $164.00. No big difference there so I ask If you have used an external wastegate routed back into the downpipe on your volvo how did it work out down the road? Did it hold together or did it suffer fractures? It does not necessarily have to be red block experience. Modern Volvo enthusiast are always welcome to post freely what been learned in this millennia when they have modified their FWD or AWD Volvos.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Hubert,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the meantime ill round up some code for testing and adjusting the digital potentiometers with an MCU based remote terminal.

Regards,
Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what I mean by quality in Europe versus what available in places like ebay. The placement of the turbo with this stainless steel header is fine but look the problem is the flange is backwards and upside down which places the flange material in the way of the spark plug wires. Ill see if I can send it back but may have to fix it if the dingle berries welded an entire run of flanges the wrong way . If you are going down this road make sure they weld the flange on correctly so that the spark plug cutouts are at the top of the header flange not the bottom. 🙃

This is how the flange should lay. This is the manifold sourced in Europe ill probably end up with in the end.
Font Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Synthetic rubber

Hopefully the distributors from California and Texas can take note and get their act together....Im as much to blame because the advertisement shows its wrong. I read many places about issue but they were mostly about the water pump spout which doesn't seem to be much of an issue with it. This is certainly the main issue with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hopefully I can grind away some of or all the extra flange material without sacrificing structural integrity so my poor spark plug wire's boots can escape and not burn. More than likely with a 3 inch downpipe going over the entire header Ill need to support the entire turbo and header with some type of brace mounted to the block anyway. I have contacted the seller but from the looks of it they are all wrong. All they'd have to do is flip it turn it around then reweld it. It would be a absolutely fine product that places a large turbo in a good position then. They will probably deem what I have to do to get it to work the suggested "professional" installation..... Id really be pissed if I would have brought the "OBX" as it is $357.00 and still wrong. For what I paid I can live with the mistake whatever it takes to fix it but for $357.00 you can get one that is correct from Europe.

Turbogrenrör Volvo B230 – LG Speed (y) something as simple as the broken edges on the T3 flange opening of the header from LG speed tells me that more time and pride was taken in its construction.

OBX Stainless Turbo Header For 74-93 Volvo 240 740 940 2.3 2.4L B20 T3 Flange | eBay Its pretty obvious all these WRONG ones come from the same place no matter where the shipper is. Since they're are all the same no need to pay more than $100.00 if you are going to go that route AFAIC 😆

Regards,
Hubert

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's some sample high level basic stamp 2 coding from parallax forums for sweeping a microchip digital 10 kohm pot PN (4131-103)

'{$STAMP BS2}
'{$PBASIC 2.5}

' -----[ Program Description ]---------------------------------------------

' Example code for popular Digital Potentiometer - 10K (MicroChip 4131-103)
' Please use at your own risk, be sure to check pinouts!

' This code will sweep the 4131 through its 129 (0-128) steps. Beginning at the highest
' resistance through lowest and back up, then loops the entire thing.

' **You must allow time for a digital multimeter to read the value, you will
' see three second pauses between commands for a digital multimeter. If you
' are not using a digital multimeter you may lower or omit the three second pauses.**

' See datasheet for schematic and SPI data details.

' -----[ I/O Definitions ]-------------------------------------------------

CS PIN 2 ' (CS) Chip Select = Pin 2
Clock PIN 1 ' (SCK) Clock = Pin 1
Datapin PIN 0 ' (SDI) Data = Pin 0 USE 1K RESISTOR

' Other Pins:
' VSS = Pin 4
' VDD = Pin 8
' Wiper = Pin 6
' P0A & P0B = Pins 5 & 7

' Ohm Meter goes across Pins 6&7 (tied together) and Pin 5

' -----[ Variables ]-------------------------------------------------------

value VAR Word ' setup a variable for sending decimal value to 4131

' -----[ Init Setup ]------------------------------------------------------

DEBUG CLS ' clear the debug terminal
HIGH CS ' turn off program mode on 4131
value = 0 ' initialize the variable we use for each step of the 4131

' -----[ Program Code ]----------------------------------------------------

DO ' start decrease and increase loops (main program)

DO UNTIL value = 128 ' do this program until value = 128 (decrease resistance loop)

LOW CS ' turn on program mode 4131
SHIFTOUT Datapin, clock, MSBFIRST, [value\16] ' send data (decimal 0 to 128) ("\16" = bits) to 4131
HIGH CS ' turn off program mode 4131

value = value + 1 ' increment send data value by +1 (decreases resistance)
PAUSE 3000 ' pause for digital ohm meter to keep up

DEBUG CLS ' clear the debug screen
DEBUG DEC value ' debug the current send data value
LOOP ' loop decrease resistance LOOP

DO UNTIL value = 0 ' do this program until value = 0 (increase resistance loop)

LOW CS ' turn on program mode 4131
SHIFTOUT Datapin, clock, MSBFIRST, [value\16] ' send data (decimal 128 to 0) ("\16" = bits) to 4131
HIGH CS ' turn off program mode 4131

value = value - 1 ' increment send data value by -1 (increases resistance)
PAUSE 3000 ' pause for digital ohm meter to keep up

DEBUG CLS ' clear the debug screen
DEBUG DEC value ' debug the current send data value
LOOP ' loop increase resistance loop

LOOP ' loop (main program)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Initially when I started this project I envisioned a visual spectral indication of knock but there is no need for that. Who cares as long as you know it is knocking when it is. The fact that the the APC "P", "F", and "K" pots are continuously variable to a degree means that a substantial amount of adjustment can be made. The best most can do is adjust this by feel and once they think they got it right never touch it again. For high performance having the ability to change the settings as required by changing external factors like environment or different turbo and its complimentary pieces is a good thing . The only thing that would be nice is having a way to see how the adjustment truly changes the boost pressure and its rise characteristics over time and be able to duplicate or return to previous or factory base settings at any time. You could simply add external pots with knobs and adjust from there. The only issue is you have no idea what value you were at an unless the pot has a detent you will have a hard time returning to those settings if they are thrown off or someone turns a pot. The digital pot can make adjustment through momentary up/down push button control but the beauty of controlling it with the MCU is a remote terminal can be brought through a LCD and give indication of what the pots resistance value is . The mcu with the right pieces could certainly mimic a DMM but you dont need the MCU to do this measuring process repeatedly. We should be able build a look up table that correlates directly a step (0-127) with a resistance value voltage or just a graduated gui with proportional visual levels to the step lowest to highest. The only other thing that would make this work is a real time boost gauge. One that not only indicates the boost pressure but actually logs it's delivery over time so we can visually analyze the function. If we can visually see its character we can make adjustments till we get the curve we want. If you find an adjustment that works really well for a certain situations such as launch, track conditions, weather.... one could make some real use out a boost controller that lets you adjust boost level, boost rise rate and knock sensitivity. It is an antiquated piece but it can be raised to this level of functionality without spending alot of money. From there I think it would be a really nice piece in the turbo tuners toolbox. The
the MCU with a complimentary RTC IC should be able to record this in real time and plot the curves to a cheap graphic lcd.​

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Word from TEXAS and CALIFORNIA distributors about the header being built wrong with the flange upside down and backwards ..... and yes they purchased the entire lot without looking to sit how it fit so they cant replace it... They can return my money never fix the issue then re sell someone else the wrong return... Really bright business practice.🙂

New message from: epartsgogo Top Rated Seller(149,136RedShooting Star)
Lets get FedEx to email you a return label to your eBay registered email address to have the parts returned for a refund. We will have management look at this stock for fitment but cannot send the other part as we do not sell that and subsequently do not have it in stock.

How this works is we pay FedEx in advanced for this label, it is then emailed to you. All you have to do is print it out stick it on a label and drop it off at a local FedEx store nearby. When dropping off at the store though you will have a receipt so make sure to keep that receipt and let us know the tracking number once shipped.

Regards,
Customer Service
M-F 10am - 5pm PST

Your previous message​
The flange on this header is backwards and upside down. if you look even in you add its wrong the spark plug wires have no escape route with what you have pictured here and what you are selling. Can you replace the header with one that has the flange in the correct orientation?

Not the header on the right with the flange in the correct orientation. So u see here the problem with your manufacture.

Thank you
Hugh

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Engineering

Font Gas Auto part Office equipment Metal
Hello Sweders,
Im looking for a link to the specification sheet of the APC pressure transducer. It says on the photo here that this one is good from 0 - 1.5 BAR. All should be needed is to integrate the sensor to the MCU and plot its pressure readout over time. It may need an ADC. It is a SCANIA part. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once this is integrated basic stamp has a stamp plot application that will allow me to easily set up a real time graph that will show me the boost function dialed up by the adjustment of the "P" and "F" pots on the laptop. I would like finally that this real time graph of the boost over time function be represented on an onboard graphic LCD. A Noritake GU256X64D-3900B is what I have on hand.

TIA,
Hubert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts