SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the past few days in the morning on my commute, till the car gets up to about 1/4 on the temperature gauge, whenever I get into any boost, it lurches and hesitates. I'm not pinning the gas pedal either (not till the car is fully warmed up at least), just anything more than a gentle acceleration that requires some boost. Perfect example, I turn up a street that has a pretty steep hill and requires boost to get up. It usually lurches here now, just like a quick "on-off-on-off-on-off" of power. It has just recently started doing this.

What's going on here? MAF?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: Lurching on boost after cold start (djkronik57)

First off, have you changed your TCV yet? If you haven't done this yet, I would think this would be the culprit. Especially in an 04 with some mileage on it (I assume)

Secondly, is it always on just a steep hill or is that just 1 example of the situation. Reason I ask is that if its loss of power surges, it maybe something to do with fuel pump and/or fuel pressure reg.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Agreed (TCV)... It is one of those cheap trouble shooting points that it is a known failure part and if you have never changed it then. You have a starting point. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Lurching on boost after cold start (kmg_S60R)

Replaced my TCV last year with a noticeable difference. I guess it could be going bad already, but I haven't noticed any drop off in max boost that I noticed with the bad TCV. Wouldn't the problem persist after the engine had warmed up too?

And yes, stock tune.

The steep hill is just 1 example where it always happens now. If I put my foot down a little harder than normal in other situations on the flat it can do it as well.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Have you read for codes or do you have a CEL?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

No CEL (yet). By the way, thanks for the help everyone! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

I don't want to just start throwing random recommendations your way but another likely culprit could be the begining signs of a failing fuel pressure / temp sensor... Intermittent failure or a problem that seems to come and go usually is a sensor and not purely a mechanical device... Problem with the TCV is that it is both... The little bastard!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So the big question, do I wait for it to get worse to go to the dealer? Because as it stands now I know I'm going to get a big old "could not replicate" if I try unless I give them a really specific recommendation. I also have a 600 mile round trip road trip coming up that I'd rather not be stranded on...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

How many miles on the new TCV?

I would agree that if you just replaced it, probably not the problem although I would double check your hose connections just to make sure.

I second the beginning of a fuel pressure problem.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Well you stated that it only last the first few minutes of driving and then goes away as the engine warms up another clue that it could be the fuel sensor mentioned above... Do I think you will be stranded, not for the description you mentioned and I personally wouldn't go hammer down on the R during that road trip just to be safe. I would try and document as many details about the symptoms as you can... I am curious what temps you are starting in. I know that some cars act wierd when boosting on a cold engine depending on temps but if it has never done it before under identical circumstances, then obviously it is not normal... Follow up after your road trip. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

If you feel the need to go to the dealer don't wait... But problem described it doesn't sound to be a stranding problem.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Yeah, if it's overboosting it will do this.
When cold the timing is advanced and if your setup is off this will happen
I ran a very agressive ECU program with a lot of advance.
Well, on a cold morning if I was in advanced mode, it would be a bucking bronco for about 10 minutes because of the double advanced timing; my program and advanced mode which advances timing more than sport.
Back to you, if your ECU is stock, this shouldn't happen, but if you have a modded ECU it can!
If it goes away after it's warmed up, don't worry about it, take it in at your liesure

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Roughly 5k miles on the new TCV (I only drive 5K a year). Starting temperatures are not that cold now that it's warming up. Usually around 30-40F. Starting up in single digits this winter I did not have this issue. I know it is a little jerky/weird feeling on a cold boosted engine, but this is way more noticeable.

I'll check the TCV lines and monitor it closely then. I was planning a dealer trip in the near future anyway. Thanks! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

I have a similar issue occasionaly...like the other day, when it was cool and a little humid and I didn't let the car warm up..you get on it slightly and it feels like a "mini stall" or "irregular boost".Unfortunately I don't have a boost gauge...but I've noticed the revs don't change...it does go away after the car warms up...However, if it gets worse and happens more often then it could be the TCV....I've replaced mine several times, but I have a tune. I found that if I flashed back to stock that the problem would go away as well....so the fact that you are stock may mean it's something else.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Lurching on boost after cold start (pafox)

Assuming you have a stock ECU program, get an updated ECU software update (from dealer), and see if it disappears.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Have you checked if this recall applies to you?

IMPORTANT RECALL NOTICE
May 25, 2007
To all Volvo Retailers and Employees:
RE: Recall 181, certain model year(s) 2003-2004 S60/V70 Fuel Pressure Sensors
Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (Volvo) has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration and Transport Canada that we will perform a Voluntary Safety Recall to replace
the Fuel Pressure Sensor on certain model year 2003 and 2004 Volvo S60/V70 vehicles.
The fuel pressure sensor (FPS) located on the left side of the fuel rail, may at times transmit
incorrect signals regarding the fuel pressure to the Engine Control Module (ECM). If the signal is
outside of the pre-programmed allowable limits, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may be set
and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will come on.
Engine misfire may occur during driving that in turn can reduce the engine torque, in the worst
case scenario the engine may stall without warning.

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Mine has done this for years (literally), although for me it happens after temp passes 1/4 on gauge but before it hits 1/2 (i.e. straight up, normal temp reading).

More likely to happen on colder days, but that may simply be that the car spends more time warming up. Never happens when at operating temp. Only occurs when engine has not been run for long time, typically overnight. The 4 hrs of cooling off between getting to work and going to lunch does not trigger the problem, for instance.

I've had the fuel pressure sensor fail in the past and this is similar, but not exactly like that. I get noticeable amount of nasal induction noise, seemingly no boost, possible lurching. I've tried "pushing through" it with some heavy throttle (the engine is not completely cold, realize), but this doesn't help. Usually, I just give very slow, light throttle and try to get the engine up past 4k to smooth over the jerkiness until it goes away, which is just 1-2 minutes.

Lately, I've taken to letting the engine idle for 3-5 min every morning, and that eliminates the issue.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Re: Lurching on boost after cold start (mgotts)

this happened on my car, stock tune, before and after new TCV. there were no open recalls for my car when I bought it. Ive heard JRL or needsdecaf refer to this occurance as grasshoppering lol.

classified as "normal"....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.