SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you would probably agree that the OEM lug nuts kind of suck on these cars. One of mine got stuck inside a socket and got beat up pretty bad trying to get it off. So when I ordered my new wheels from Tire Rack and it came with new lug nuts, I was happy.

However, now that I have my stock rims on with winter tires, my shop is telling me those new lug nuts barely cover the diameter of hole on the stock wheels, and are at risk of getting bedded in. Anyone had this happen? They're the typical, more conical base lug nuts, as opposed the top hat-looking ones that Volvo uses.

So I guess I'll have to put the old ones back on, and risk having that one stuck on in my socket. Or maybe I'll just leave that one off and put one of the new ones in it's place. I'm sure I could buy a new OEM lug nut, but it's not high on my priorities right now.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Some lugs are meant for different style rims because the seats are different. I had to use different lugs for my steelies on my audi because the audi ones I had for my alloy wheels don't match up right. Have you tried another socket? If your using an impact socket, they tend to get warped over time. I don't have any problems with the lugs on my s40 with an impact socket, but I just bought a new set so they're pretty fresh.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can use the next socket size up and make it work I think. I've been driving with these lugs for over a week now, so I'm glad I at least found out before it was too late. I never even thought to look when I put the wheels on. I just hand tightened them, lowered the car back down, torqued, and assumed I was good. Obviously I should've paid closer attention.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Oh I never torque then I just use the impact gun with a torque rods. If you Google it you'll see the different kinda of lug bolt seats and how they differ from each other. I bought a really nice set of chromed lugs for my steelies off ebay pretty cheap for the audi and they've held up fine through many removals. But I had to specify to the seller what I was using them for and he pointed me in the right direction. I wouldn't use the wrong size.. If the lugs themselves are mangled I would replace them.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
always torque the wheels to proper number. our hubs are notorious for broken studs if overtightened......

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The early lugs like you have are a two piece style with a "cover". Corrosion build up inside the cover expanding it outward combined with years of impact abuse cause the sizing issue. Always order the later style lug nut if you need to replace them. They are more robust. 31329645

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ended up using all of the old ones, except for the bad one. I couldn't find it so I must have tossed it. So one of my wheels has one of the other lugs on it, that technically has too small of a flange to seat correctly in the OEM wheels. So I just ordered some off of ebay that looked identical to OEM, and they were $15 for an entire set of 25. Volvo parts wanted $6 per lug.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Weigh an aftermarket one compared to a factory Volvo lug nut. I swear 1 factory nut weighs as much as 5 of the ones I got from Tire Rack. Factory are solid quality! I use nothing but factory now on my IPD wheels.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Weigh an aftermarket one compared to a factory Volvo lug nut. I swear 1 factory nut weighs as much as 5 of the ones I got from Tire Rack. Factory are solid quality! I use nothing but factory now on my IPD wheels.
The weight of the lugnut is not what determines the quality of it. Also stock lugnuts are only good with stock wheels, If you go with aftermarket wheels you need aftermarket lugnuts. They almost always are interchangeable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The weight of the lugnut is not what determines the quality of it. Also stock lugnuts are only good with stock wheels, If you go with aftermarket wheels you need aftermarket lugnuts. They almost always are interchangeable.
Depends on the wheel as to whether or not you need new lug nuts.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Depends on the wheel as to whether or not you need new lug nuts.
99.9% of like all aftermarket wheels you need aftermarket lugnuts. For proper seating, balance and stabilization you would need aftermarket lugnuts to match the aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
709 Posts
it all depends on the seat angle of the new wheel. The OEM might do just fine.

Here is an example (not Volvo specific):

1 - 12 of 12 Posts