SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Lug bolts for new winter tires and rims from tirerack

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kmah888333 
#1 ·
I purchased Winter tires and rims from Tirerack a few months ago because I wanted to beat the winter rush. I *just* realized that they gave me lugbolts with the purchase. Does that mean I have to through the hassle of changing all the lugbolts on the axle? I just wanted to use the lugnuts from the stock wheels and slap on the wheels. <sigh> How hard would it be to do? My fault for not looking into it more closer.

I bought the 18x8 Sparco Assetto for my 2012 S60 R Design with WS70 Blizzaks.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Yes. All euro cars use lugbolts. Your stock wheels lug bolts. The tire rack wheels use a smaller lugbolt, and you have received a socket for it.

I have no idea why euros use lugbolts. My guess is people don't have to install spares on the side of the road over there.

#4 ·
Help me understand. As I've never removed one of my wheels - are you saying the wheels are attached with lug bolts instead of lug nuts?

#5 ·
Yes, they are bolts. No studs coming out from the hub, there are threaded holes in the hub.

#7 ·
Sorry for my use of terminology. I meant studs when I said "spindles".

Kind of morphing this subject a little bit... then would it be very easy to install spacers, like this:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/wheel-spacer-kit-15mm-63-4mm-centerbore/

I always wanted spacers, but thought there were studs coming out of the hub. I thought the bolts that Viva provided were to replace the wheel studs coming out of the hub which meant removing the brake calipers etc. --- which is I'm not skilled enough (or too scared) to do on a 3 month old car. Now that I know I was wrong and that there are no studs, I realize what Viva provides are simply longer lug bolts to attach the wheel to the hub when the spacers are on. Am I right? This might make a very nice Xmas gift to myself this season. :)

#8 ·
Lug bolts and wheels also can have dis-similar mating surfaces. There are cup shaped ones and cone shaped ones. Do as the Rack says, it's not that hard to keep a baggy of bolts with the seasonal wheels.

#9 ·
Indeed. I bought a set of alloys and winter tires from tirerack for my previous car that used lug NUTS, and tirerack gave me a 20 lug nuts for the new rims. Just remember to carry the socket tool in your trunk during winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.