SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Winter tires and rims from Tirerack a few months ago because I wanted to beat the winter rush. I *just* realized that they gave me lugbolts with the purchase. Does that mean I have to through the hassle of changing all the lugbolts on the axle? I just wanted to use the lugnuts from the stock wheels and slap on the wheels. <sigh> How hard would it be to do? My fault for not looking into it more closer.

I bought the 18x8 Sparco Assetto for my 2012 S60 R Design with WS70 Blizzaks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
The after market wheels usually have a smaller lug bolt head size, to fit in the rims. You will need them. It's not a big deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh... after a bit of googling, I found out that lugbolts are used instead of lugnuts. So when I take the wheel off there isn't any spindles that come out to use lug nuts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Help me understand. As I've never removed one of my wheels - are you saying the wheels are attached with lug bolts instead of lug nuts?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Help me understand. As I've never removed one of my wheels - are you saying the wheels are attached with lug bolts instead of lug nuts?
Yes, they are bolts. No studs coming out from the hub, there are threaded holes in the hub.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ahh... after a bit of googling, I found out that lugbolts are used instead of lugnuts. So when I take the wheel off there isn't any spindles that come out to use lug nuts.
Yes. All euro cars use lugbolts. Your stock wheels lug bolts. The tire rack wheels use a smaller lugbolt, and you have received a socket for it.

I have no idea why euros use lugbolts. My guess is people don't have to install spares on the side of the road over there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for my use of terminology. I meant studs when I said "spindles".

Kind of morphing this subject a little bit... then would it be very easy to install spacers, like this:

http://www.vivaperformance.com/wheel-spacer-kit-15mm-63-4mm-centerbore/

I always wanted spacers, but thought there were studs coming out of the hub. I thought the bolts that Viva provided were to replace the wheel studs coming out of the hub which meant removing the brake calipers etc. --- which is I'm not skilled enough (or too scared) to do on a 3 month old car. Now that I know I was wrong and that there are no studs, I realize what Viva provides are simply longer lug bolts to attach the wheel to the hub when the spacers are on. Am I right? This might make a very nice Xmas gift to myself this season. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Lug bolts and wheels also can have dis-similar mating surfaces. There are cup shaped ones and cone shaped ones. Do as the Rack says, it's not that hard to keep a baggy of bolts with the seasonal wheels.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Indeed. I bought a set of alloys and winter tires from tirerack for my previous car that used lug NUTS, and tirerack gave me a 20 lug nuts for the new rims. Just remember to carry the socket tool in your trunk during winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the winter tires on this weekend.

I still have to program the TPMS.

Here are the factory lugbolts that came with the R Design:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts