SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 NY winters, my original lugs bolts are starting to show some rust. Since I just had the wheels repainted, I thought I'd get some new lug bolts. The OEM bolts are a bit pricey. So, does anyone have any recommendations for decent replacements?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
After 2 NY winters, my original lugs bolts are starting to show some rust. Since I just had the wheels repainted, I thought I'd get some new lug bolts. The OEM bolts are a bit pricey. So, does anyone have any recommendations for decent replacements?
I got a new set of Dorman bolts from rock auto. Same design as the original with the tapered washer and 19mm head, but the head of the bolt is stamped with the grade markings 10.9. Was disappointed when I got them, but I installed them anyways and just don't think about it.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a new set of Dorman bolts from rock auto. Same design as the original with the tapered washer and 19mm head, but the head of the bolt is stamped with the grade markings 10.9. Was disappointed when I got them, but I installed them anyways and just don't think about it.

That's pretty crappy. Who'd stamp the visible part of the bolt for this type of application?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
They have held up well enough through the winters and service, but they are showing signs of cosmetic corrosion just like the original bolts. Looks like they would polish up easily, but I don't really care.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have any pic n pull or scrap yards near you?

Over the years we just collected good ones and kept the mint ones for summer; used other ones for winter and just rotated through winter versions when they got bad.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Over the years we just collected good ones and kept the mint ones for summer; used other ones for winter and just rotated through winter versions when they got bad.
Yeah, but 10+ year old NY cars tend to be in worse shape than mine.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've decided when the time comes to replace lug bolts, I'm going to switch to studs and nuts. I feel like I might as well get some long enough studs and open nuts to be able to also eventually step up to wheel spacers too…

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
I've decided when the time comes to replace lug bolts, I'm going to switch to studs and nuts. I feel like I might as well get some long enough studs and open nuts to be able to also eventually step up to wheel spacers too…
Don't. Lugs are quite a bit easier to deal with

·
Registered
289 Posts

I'm in Canada lol; generally ours are worst but I managed to have a huge collection.

Also I wanted to switch to studs as well because screw bolts BUT the 12x1.75 thread just limited choices immensely.

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
I'm in Canada lol; generally ours are worst but I managed to have a huge collection.

Also I wanted to switch to studs as well because screw bolts BUT the 12x1.75 thread just limited choices immensely.
12x1.75 is p80 14x1.5 is p2

ST Suspension makes nice graded ones in p80 size in various lengths. Much cheaper than h&r and also properly 19mm head

1 - 14 of 14 Posts