SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BY Brad Anderson | Posted on August 19, 2020 18

"Prior to the vehicle’s September 9 debut, Lucid has revealed that thanks to the Air’s 900V+ electrical architecture, custom lithium-ion battery cells, the sophisticated battery, and advanced thermal management system, it can charge at up to 20 miles (32 km) per minute with a peak charging rate of over 300 kW. This will translate to 300 miles of range (482 km) in just 20 minutes of charging.

Lucid has also joined forces with Electrify America to offer its U.S. customers three years of complimentary charging at the ever-growing network of Electrify America charging stations, including ones rated at up to 350 kW. Lucid Air owners will be able to easily locate and see real-time availability of Electrify America charge locations across the country." "

Plus the Lucid Air's range has been verified by independent testers to have an EPA range of 517miles. At least 400 miles+ is the range you need for the BEV XC90 to compete in the US in 2 years.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/l...-in-20-minutes-is-worlds-fastest-charging-ev/

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Building the grid and charging module is not that hard technically. More electric power train vendors will jump on the wagon quickly,
but
... only if such super fast charging doesn't affect battery life, or increase high temperature hazard...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Lucid guys seem to know what they're doing. Battery tech is advancing rapidly, with 1,000,000 mile batteries on the horizon. The high temp problem will be conquered too. Sooner than you think.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm just glad that I'm in no hurry to buy another car (my 2012 S60 only has 60,000 something miles on it). I want to wait for the next generation of batteries. And if upcoming Polestars are as gorgeous as the Precept, that could very well be my brand.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i have a tough time with claims of ev makers who havent produced anything real yet. faraday future was going to be amazing, fisker, nikola, dyson, apple, rivian, lordstown, bollinger, aspark, rimac etc. some produced a couple cars. but they all promise amazing, and failed to deliver anything meaningful to the mass market. like so many smart tech people, they tend to lose their way and get sidetracked into infinite delays and over budget projects that dont make it much beyond concept phase.

edit: makes what polestar did all the more impressive, creating a vehicle to sell globally is no simple feat, imagine the money burned developing these cars that didnt make it(dyson claimed to spend 500mil of his own cash to develop car, got to prototype stage and realized wouldnt happen without absurd amount of money from there)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i have a tough time with claims of ev makers who havent produced anything real yet. faraday future was going to be amazing, fisker, nikola, dyson, apple, rivian, lordstown, bollinger, aspark, rimac etc. some produced a couple cars. but they all promise amazing, and failed to deliver anything meaningful to the mass market. like so many smart tech people, they tend to lose their way and get sidetracked into infinite delays and over budget projects that dont make it much beyond concept phase.

edit: makes what polestar did all the more impressive, creating a vehicle to sell globally is no simple feat, imagine the money burned developing these cars that didnt make it(dyson claimed to spend 500mil of his own cash to develop car, got to prototype stage and realized wouldnt happen without absurd amount of money from there)
You certainly have a valid point, but some of the startups you mention are further along than others, like Rivian. But the range that some of them are aiming at are certainly achievable, especially in 2 years, when the BEV XC90 is due out. Since Volvo sells about 35% of their XC90s in the US, they need to give it top tier range. Americans want range. I'm not willing to pay $135,000+ for a Lucid, but if Volvo offered a BEV XC90 with a 350 mile range <$90,000, not including tax credits, I would buy it. Maybe a 5-seater with more batteries where the 3rd row would normally fold down, like the Rivian R1S with the 180 kWh battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts