SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Planning on having my newly installed transmission BG Flushed soon to promote good health. A trusted friend says go with 12 quarts of Amalie Synthetic Transmission Fluid along with a bottle of Lucas Transmission Additive.

Any comments/thoughts regarding either:
1) Amalie Synthetic Transmission Fluid?
2) The Lucas Additive?

92 Volvo 240 -- AW 70 transmission from a 740.

Appreciate any advice!

- Wes

·
Registered
130 Posts
... BG Flushed soon to promote good health....
92 Volvo 240 -- AW 70 transmission from a 740.
Can you get your friend to elaborate on the virtues of this BG-flush? How about the mileage on this new-used transmission?

I've always heard that one should stay away from power flushes and simply use the transmission's own pump to pump fluid out the cooler lines while adding it via the dip stick (a la http://www.ipdusa.com/105310 , or something similar).

Can't say much about the Lucas stuff, other than I've heard good things about most of their products.

++Ian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ian,

Apparently the BG flush just removes way more of the old fluid than can be removed from the cooler lines.
http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

Lots of conflicting info about what does promote good health for a transmission. Interested to hear different opinions. Also any opinions on Amalie Synthetic Fluid?
AW-70 transmission is from a 740 with about 80,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

- Wes

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Lucas products and Red Line ATF and MTF (for manuals) have good reps. I don't know about Amalie as it's not sold where I live.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I'd say the IPD-style flush (which is just iterating the cooler cleaning procedure in the factory service manual) the tried 'n' true way, and gets ALL the old fluid out when done properly. But, if I were going to have that BG flush done, make sure they clean the transmission pan & filter before flushing.

Sounds like you've got your hands on a good young transmission. Amalie is currently in my lady's 745T w/ AW-71. It has been shifting happily since the old fluid was flushed out via the IPD kit last year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Trans Flush and Additive

My 1990 240 DL has 190k miles. I change 3 to 4 quarts of trans fluid every engine oil change (10k miles). I use a marine oil change vacuum device to suck the trans oil out of the dip stick tube. I've always used amsoil synthetic ATF. The transmission has never had any problems other that a pan gasket leak and cracked cooling tubes. Neither were related to the oil. I've never been a fan of forced flushing out things that are old and still working fine- good luck

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've always been a proponent of just putting in a complete change of some good trans fluid and leaving it in for about 500 miles (preferably during the Summer) and then draining it out. It's just too bad that automatics these days don't have a drain plug on the converters. I think that draining with a kit is the best way to go these days. Does that AW 70 have a filter? My old XC70 (piece of crap and thankfully gone) didn't have one. One wonders what band and clutch particles do while circulating through the pump and back through small, vital transmission orifices. XD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts