SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have never read of anyone's roof joints getting worn & sloppy, I would still like to lubricate mine. What should I use and what's the best method? I was thinking of door hinge pin lube and stop the top midway down and lube everything. Would that be ok? Or should I use WD-40?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would not used WD-40 since it can leak on the roof fabric making a cosmetic mess. Use a dry grease that will not drip, they are sprayable. Go to any auto part store and ask.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I did that when I wanted to clean the inside of the rear window. I couldn't get to it very easily with the top up, and certainly not with the top down, so I stopped half way and cleaned it. I had no problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A couple of months ago I performed the roof maintenance as described in the maintenance manual. I did purchase the grease and the seal lubricant from Volvo of Dallas' online store. The stuff was crazy expensive, but less than what the dealer quoted me to do the job and I have enough for several cleanings. The manual does not give any special warning about stopping roof in the service position. I did not have any issues following exactly the procedures described in the manual. The pivot points still had grease on them but re-greased them anyway. What seemed more important was to clean and lubricate the seals. Mine were dirty and dry looking, after cleaning and lubrication, they were nice and soft and ready to seal out water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hard top. The seals are all the rubber (rubber like) components between the panels, along the top of the window, at the bottom of the back window and along the sides where the side windows meet with the roof panels.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just purchased the cleaner and lubes for the roof but it came with no instructions. Does anyone have them??? Or maybe VIDAS? Thanks...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lube - 1161840 Grease - 1161778 Cleaner - 1161721 I got mine from Tacsa $$$ Would love to see Volvo instructions before doing this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stuvo, correct on the part #'s. The instructions are in VIDAS. If you don't have access, I will try to figure out how to get the information to you.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you could PM me or post instructions, that would be awesome CDR. How does one get access to VIDAS???

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks John for the VIDAS. Us C70's need to keep in touch with this kind of info. Dealers just not know about this stuff and stonewall you. But I want to keep my car till the wheels fall off...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Lube - 1161840 Grease - 1161778 Cleaner - 1161721 I got mine from Tacsa $$$ Would love to see Volvo instructions before doing this.
was going to contact the dealer for some volvo lube but after some online searches and looking like it'd cost $80-90, i did an internet search for other options.

i found the einszett gummi phlege on amazon that is only $8 and worked great on the rubber seals of my 08 c70. crazy name but the stuff works! no more annoying squeaks -- i didn't have many but this stuff pretty much silenced them.

i also did the door seals of my wife's prius and her plastics -- amazing stuff. 1 little bottle will last 5-6 applications. comes with it's own applicator.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-9148...249&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=eizette+rubber+lube

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can you say that three times real fast??? $8 bucks, that's a deal, where were you two months ago with this info...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah. That stuff looks great. It will treat the rubber seals but my original question had to do with the pivot poits. How, and what do you grease those with?

·
Registered
506 Posts
VIDAS says high temp grease 1161778

1 - 20 of 39 Posts