SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm starting the parts list for the next round of mods and I'm wondering if anyone has done an lsd? Quaife has a well rated one that looks good but I haven't found anyone outside the c30 folks that has installed one.

Cheers

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of the things holding me back from buying a C70. Would be very interested to hear people's experiences.
You've piqued my curiousity, do you think it will make that big a difference?

I've been in the rear drive camp for the last 30 years so I'm really interested to see if it's going to be as effective as I think it will.

Just FYI, I'm targeting about 350whp, so my next round of work (now that I have suspension and brakes) is to beef up the clutch and diff.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
The LSD makes a massive difference for tuned FWD cars like the C30, S40/V50 and C70 models. Since there were very few C70 6MT's, let alone owned by enthusiasts looking for increasing performance, I've yet to hear of a C70 with a Quaife (or Wavetrac) LSD installed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You've piqued my curiousity, do you think it will make that big a difference?

I've been in the rear drive camp for the last 30 years so I'm really interested to see if it's going to be as effective as I think it will.

Just FYI, I'm targeting about 350whp, so my next round of work (now that I have suspension and brakes) is to beef up the clutch and diff.
350 whp?! Putting on the K16 turbo? Is that even possible? Better get the LSD. I have to be careful now at an estimated 250 crank HP, and I have the manual transmission, so can meter the power better.

The Quaife is for the Focus ST as well, which saves us. It's on my list, but I'll probably go stage 2 first next summer. Installed, the Quaife is probably $1500, so I want to be sure I need it. If I can't get to 300 hp without a bigger turbo, it may be academic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The LSD makes a massive difference for tuned FWD cars like the C30, S40/V50 and C70 models. Since there were very few C70 6MT's, let alone owned by enthusiasts looking for increasing performance, I've yet to hear of a C70 with a Quaife (or Wavetrac) LSD installed.
George, my current plan is to do the LSD and an upgrade on the clutch/flywheel this winter (seasonal car so it's off the road 4-6 months a year). There are conflicting opinions on whether the 2004-7 R clutch setup is a bolt up item or not. I just need to figure out who (locally to me in Vancouver, BC) should do the work. There are some other LSD options that work with the M66 but they seem a bit more hardcore than what I need/want.

Any insight/ideas are appreciated - then you'll be able to say you DO know of a (2nd gen) C70 that has an LSD. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
350 whp?! Putting on the K16 turbo? Is that even possible? Better get the LSD. I have to be careful now at an estimated 250 crank HP, and I have the manual transmission, so can meter the power better.

The Quaife is for the Focus ST as well, which saves us. It's on my list, but I'll probably go stage 2 first next summer. Installed, the Quaife is probably $1500, so I want to be sure I need it. If I can't get to 300 hp without a bigger turbo, it may be academic.
I think we're possibly following a similar arc as far as the engine goes. I would also like to avoid going to the K16 so my vague/tentative plan at this point is to upgrade everything around the turbo first and see where I land. It may well be that 300whp does the trick.

That said, I love the oddball-ness of a fast rorty C70 so I probably won't be able to resist taking it as far as I can without losing drivability and reliability. Thankfully the thirty-forty-fifty crowd is leading the way on performance mods so there seems to be a good amount of applicable stuff.

Are you looking at doing things like bigger injectors, larger intercooler, intake plenum, etc...?

cheers,

.f

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
~270whp and 310ftlb of torque here, with the K04 and M66. I do not have an LSD, but it's definitely on my wishlist. It's not completely necessary with the K04, but it will definitely help. Quaife no doubt.

Having driven another P1 with a Quaife LSD, it's like a night and day difference.
All FWD P1s are the same. So what works on the C30 will work for you with the same results.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
I would also like to avoid going to the K16 so my vague/tentative plan at this point is to upgrade everything around the turbo first and see where I land. It may well be that 300whp does the trick.
You won't get near to 300whp without upgrading the turbo. 270ish is pretty much maxed out on the K04, and that's with Newman performance cams.

The basic K16 setup will get you ~310whp. Some tuning tweaks and other mods can take you all the way to 400whp, but be prepared for unreliability at that point.

Upgrading the intercooler is a must if you plan on going beyond a basic Stage 1 tune. Intake manifold makes a nice difference too. Waiting on my 70mm Porsche throttle body to ship, but I doubt that'll be anything more than a conversation piece.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
~270whp and 310ftlb of torque here, with the K04 and M66. I do not have an LSD, but it's definitely on my wishlist. It's not completely necessary with the K04, but it will definitely help. Quaife no doubt.

Having driven another P1 with a Quaife LSD, it's like a night and day difference.
All FWD P1s are the same. So what works on the C30 will work for you with the same results.
That's the confirmation I'm looking for!

Group buy for LSD? ;)

Great info guys, this is really useful.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Would love to see a dyno sheet!

We're dealing with the crappy 3.2L on our XC60, so tried to get a bulk discount with my local dyno guy but he wouldn't deal. I'm definitely benchmarking the XC after break in, so depending on how that goes, may get the C70 on there, too, but doesn't make sense until the stage 2 (~$1200 from now)

What kind of details can you offer on the need for the FMIC? I thought it was recommended for stage 3. Did you add the ECU spacer?

·
Registered
108 Posts
So if I understand right without K16 not a chance to get 300 hps on C70 Polestar with Elevate intercooler, Inlet Manifold and Lower inlet manifold?

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
Correction, 330 torque ;)

This was before the cams and custom tune, on stock spark plugs (step colder now), and with the 65mm throttle body. Once I get the new TB in, I'll dyno it again. Which is why I say it should be ~270 at the wheels now, judging from other P1 experiences with cams. They made a very noticeable difference, also averaging 29mpg while always driving it fairly hard.

Don't bother with stepping up each stage at a time. Figure out your end goal and get that tune. Otherwise, you're wasting money along the way. You don't NEED a downpipe and intercooler to run a tune for a downpipe and intercooler. You just won't see the full performance benefits until you upgrade those parts.

The stock FMIC has more restrictive flow, plus it's stupid small. You won't notice any increase in boost, you might actually find that it takes longer to build boost until you're running a tune that adapts to a larger FMIC. But once tuned appropriately, you'll definitely notice that you can hold peak boost longer and my butt dyno says that the engine is running a bit smoother with the cooler air. I go through 1st too quickly, but 2nd-6th can hold at 18psi.

I have an Injen intake, so the ECU is on a separate bracket. But recent testing with Shark has shown that the stock air box is the most efficient when paired with an ECU spacer, high flow filter, and upgraded intake pipe. Most likely because this is a true cold air intake.
Though, the K04s do appear to run better with cone filter intakes, even though they draw in the warm air of the engine bay. Mods can be done to improve cooling. Simple like opening up the battery snorkel, complex like adding a hood vent (GT500 vent looks nice, see my sig ;)). I've found better throttle response with the cone filter intakes, but mostly more enjoyable wooshing noise.

The Maker Motorsports ECU spacers are being discontinued. Just not worth it with how many competing spacers are on the market.
GoVoEngineering has a very good quality spacer for sale as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would love to see a dyno sheet!

We're dealing with the crappy 3.2L on our XC60, so tried to get a bulk discount with my local dyno guy but he wouldn't deal. I'm definitely benchmarking the XC after break in, so depending on how that goes, may get the C70 on there, too, but doesn't make sense until the stage 2 (~$1200 from now)

What kind of details can you offer on the need for the FMIC? I thought it was recommended for stage 3. Did you add the ECU spacer?
I'm going to have my car dyno'd before I park it for winter, I wanted to do it before the exhaust but I figure that's a trivial power increase at this stage anyway. I will be very surprised if it's over 200hp.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
So if I understand right without K16 not a chance to get 300 hps on C70 Polestar with Elevate intercooler, Inlet Manifold and Lower inlet manifold?
You will never see more than 250whp with a Polestar tune buttoned up with all the bolt ons. Polestar upgrades all the gears evenly, giving linear acceleration and safe increase in performance. But it is optimized for the stock FMIC and stock DP. You will hardly see any gains with upgrading those parts and keeping the P* tune, other than flow efficiency.

Elevate and Shark tunes will give much more raw power. Personally, I find P* gives a bit more torque in 1st gear, but P* is still greatly limited.
Not saying that Elevate and Shark tunes aren't safe, they just void the warranty. But people have been running them years with no problems, myself included.
Acceleration isn't as linear as P*, especially on an auto with the torque limiter. But you'll quickly adapt. It'll just be awkward for the first drive.

As I said, the K04 turbo won't be getting you to 300whp either.
Keep in mind, these car's stock ~225hp is at the crank, not the wheels. P* whp is only around 230.

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
There are conflicting opinions on whether the 2004-7 R clutch setup is a bolt up item or not.
Missed this earlier. Yes, the P2R clutch can be swapped in. Not sure if it was a direct swap, but many have done it so it can't be too hard. But I would highly suggest getting the MkII Focus RS clutch paired with the RS slave cylinder (the two have to go together). The Volvo M66 slave is a weak point and a $1k repair. Ask me how I know.... Had I done the research, I would have swapped in the RS parts and not just replaced them with Volvo.

Also something to note for anyone looking to build up their K04 with a K16 on the horizon. Shark has also tested that the Volvo TCV is better than the aftermarket options and it is easiest to tune for. Aftermarket TCVs will help with the K04, but as we're just now perfecting the K16 tune for US Bosch ECUs, stock modules are proving easiest to adapt and best so far. I highly advise moving the TCV off the turbo and onto the firewall. Moving it away from that heat will help extend its life.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Missed this earlier. Yes, the P2R clutch can be swapped in. Not sure if it was a direct swap, but many have done it so it can't be too hard. But I would highly suggest getting the MkII Focus RS clutch paired with the RS slave cylinder (the two have to go together). The Volvo M66 slave is a weak point and a $1k repair. Ask me how I know.... Had I done the research, I would have swapped in the RS parts and not just replaced them with Volvo.

Also something to note for anyone looking to build up their K04 with a K16 on the horizon. Shark has also tested that the Volvo TCV is better than the aftermarket options and it is easiest to tune for. Aftermarket TCVs will help with the K04, but as we're just now perfecting the K16 tune for US Bosch ECUs, stock modules are proving easiest to adapt and best so far. I highly advise moving the TCV off the turbo and onto the firewall. Moving it away from that heat will help extend its life.
That (clutch) sounds like the way to go, I'll do some digging on that. I'm assuming it would be a whole plate/disc/flywheel swap?

Lots of good data here, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
15,197 Posts
That (clutch) sounds like the way to go, I'll do some digging on that. I'm assuming it would be a whole plate/disc/flywheel swap?

Lots of good data here, thank you!
I'll see if I can dig up the old thread about the RS clutch upgrade, I can't remember everything that "needed" to be upgraded and what could remain stock. It was pricey, but everyone who has done it says that it was worth it.

No problem! Happy to help out the community. I love these threads that are focused on the go-fast parts.
Organizing a group buy on the LSD could be good. Just spent a bunch of money on a big brake kit, new wheels, new tires soon, etc. But that could be something I'd like to purchase come next spring.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll see if I can dig up the old thread about the RS clutch upgrade, I can't remember everything that "needed" to be upgraded and what could remain stock. It was pricey, but everyone who has done it says that it was worth it.

No problem! Happy to help out the community. I love these threads that are focused on the go-fast parts.
Organizing a group buy on the LSD could be good. Just spent a bunch of money on a big brake kit, new wheels, new tires soon, etc. But that could be something I'd like to purchase come next spring.
Much appreciated, I'll take all the data I can get +share back with the group.

I'll commit to a group buy on the lsd - right now it's 615 gbp on the Quaife UK site, NA prices are much higher. I would likely want to pull the trigger by January and get my winter mods done by end of April when it's raining here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will never see more than 250whp with a Polestar tune buttoned up with all the bolt ons. Polestar upgrades all the gears evenly, giving linear acceleration and safe increase in performance. But it is optimized for the stock FMIC and stock DP. You will hardly see any gains with upgrading those parts and keeping the P* tune, other than flow efficiency.

Elevate and Shark tunes will give much more raw power. Personally, I find P* gives a bit more torque in 1st gear, but P* is still greatly limited.
Not saying that Elevate and Shark tunes aren't safe, they just void the warranty. But people have been running them years with no problems, myself included.
Acceleration isn't as linear as P*, especially on an auto with the torque limiter. But you'll quickly adapt. It'll just be awkward for the first drive.

As I said, the K04 turbo won't be getting you to 300whp either.
Keep in mind, these car's stock ~225hp is at the crank, not the wheels. P* whp is only around 230.
I already have Polestar, so 250 hp. From Elevate website i sow that Performance Inlet Manifold adds up to +26hp, Polished Port Lower Intake Manifold adds up to +11hp and Downpipe +12 Horsepower. Total up to 49hp and with 250 that i have now 299hp on a crank. Does my calculations correct or it works different way?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.