SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is beginning to drive and I wanted to get her a key fob. In calling around to local dealers I have found that the cost if fairly high (around 200 for the key, then an additional fee for the software and then finally a programming fee). Cost is generally over 400 for a key. I knew it would be fairly expensive (was thinking 200) but 400 is a little much in my mind. Wondering if anyone else has gone through this and if so, what you found?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Maybe one of you use the sport tag key till another car is purchased for daughter? You will need two cars anyways I assume.

And you can get a new car that use cell phone as key, like Polestar 2.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
My son asked for a Polestar. I just laughed.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
652 Posts
I would suggest buying the "red key" which can limit speed, etc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good timing of this thread.. I lost my key fob too, looks like only way is dealer and they will take advantage of pricing it ridiculously.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also call Volvo NA and request for a discount and they might give you a 30% rebate form. Doesn't hurt to try.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,921 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You are right. For car sharing, I wonder if a green or pink color is more user friendly, at least less confusing. :)
Indeed. Perhaps other colors are already reserved for projects that are already decided (e.g. Polestar may have yellow/gold key fob, p* tune may have blue key fob, etc.), so they only have red to choose for both commercial implementations.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Maybe one of you use the sport tag key till another car is purchased for daughter? You will need two cars anyways I assume.

And you can get a new car that use cell phone as key, like Polestar 2.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
I generally use the sport key as my everyday key simply because its smaller. I think its cheaper to replace in case it gets lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I generally use the sport key as my everyday key simply because its smaller. I think its cheaper to replace in case it gets lost.

Is that battery replaceable? Otherwise that could get expensive...

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You'd have to separate the shell to access the battery, and re-glue them together. But the waterproof rating will go down / disappear. I use it nevertheless due to the smaller size.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!
They are supposed to last through the warranty period. I just had my XC90 tag key replaced under warranty last week. It was 2 years old.

I like that it fits into my coin pocket in my jeans.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You'd have to separate the shell to access the battery, and re-glue them together. But the waterproof rating will go down / disappear. I use it nevertheless due to the smaller size.
Will the battery be over even if I don't use it much? I mean what's the standby time for the battery

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts