SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V60 R-Design
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to Volvo, coming from the Audi/BMW wagon world. Loved and lowered them all. Recently purchased a 2020 T5 V60 R-Design. (Non-Sport Chassis :rolleyes: )

Been doing quite a bit of reading/digging on the forums in regards to lowering the US spec V60. While there is a fair amount of info, it's scattered and mixed across and into general conversations. I'm still left with gaps and questions unanswered. I hope to use this post as a more focused notepad to gather info and leave it for others on the same quest.

Context
  • For this exercise, I'm writing from what I think is the most common setup in the US, non-Sport Chassis V60. Euros, count yourselves lucky.
  • Purposely excluding the Cross Country trim from this post. Assumption being, if you bought a CC, you're not interested in lowering.
  • Also not too focused on Polestar V60 as a lot this doesn't apply. Plus T8s Ohlins can be adjusted..See @Pisadong's post here.
Starting Info
  • Model/Trim/Motor variation factors into options. (Ex: R-Design Sport Chassis vs. Momentum going to achieve different results with same aftermarket product.)
  • Obviously larger motors, AWD versions are going to be heavier, thus changing outcomes.
  • SPA V60 uses a leaf spring in the rear, adjusted by replacing w/shorter spacer and a traditional coiled spring up front.
  • Dealership labor prices to install vary, but general consensus is that it's pricey. Private shops hit or miss on installing.
  • Main issue, releasing rear leaf spring. Volvo uses a proprietary tool to un-spring.
  • Heico and others have got around that. See page 18 here. (Thank you @Symtom ) Video here. Further discussion here. (Thanks @AJS1KR ) @EMRtek did it too, link.
  • Also, due to the way the TPMS works...Lowering requires 1 hour of dealership time to reprogram the headlight level. Source.
Most common Lowering options for the SPA V60. (Great in-depth resource here with links. Thank you @AJS1KR )
  • Heico Springs & rear leaf spacers. - Lowers “up to 30mm” depending. Heico's site shows a very low car. Forum members show otherwise.
  • Eibach Springs - US market needs to order from Europe. - Lowers 20-25mm front & Rear - Spring rates are softer than Volvo Sport Chassis springs.
  • H&R Springs - US market needs to order from Europe. - Lowers 30mm Front & 20mm Rear - Spring rates are softer than Volvo Sport Chassis springs.
  • Full coil-over sets from the big brands obviously. KW, Bilstein, H&R, Heico, etc. One note, Heico's coil system is a rebranded KW V3.
  • Bags of course...contact @thiccc.wagon
Volvo Rear Leaf Spacers (Thanks @EMRtek ) Link
31406523 - 30mm​
31406521 - 24mm​
31406528 - 21mm​
31429578 - 15mm​
31429579 - 12mm​
31429580 - 9mm​
31429581 - 6mm​

Going from a 30mm rear spacer to a 15mm lowers the car roughly 10-12mm. Per @EMRtek Source

Sport Chassis - If it's a listed feature, buy it. (Big thanks to @Power6 - full write up here.)
  • V60 Sport Chassis is standard on R-Design trim in non-US markets. Lucky.
  • It was a $200 option for a while in US while V60s were sold new. (Non-CC, non-Polestar V60s are no longer imported to US.)
  • Reports are that it's real deal sport suspension setup. Tight, responsive and full of feel. Swede's didn't skimp on this design.
  • Sport Chassis sits about .5" lower than regular Momentum, Inscription, non-optioned R-Design trim lines. Great explanation by @Power6 here.
  • Higher spring rates (more stiff), matched dampers, lower ride height, bigger/stiffer sway bars. Technically the Sport Chassis springs are stiffer than both Eibach & H&R.
  • If you have the Sport Chassis, after market springs like H&R and Eibach won't lower much and be a somewhat softer ride.
  • Wanna swap out your Dynamic suspension for the Sport Chassis? It's been discussed. Good luck.
Photos. This is the most instructive part for me...

Heico Springs Example Photos

Heico promo photos - Looking low...can't be sure if these are the springs or the coilovers that Heico sells.

Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Source unknown here. Random internet find. Filename says Heico
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Car

@kemmons S60 T6 on a Heico setup.

@Red Hammer V60 T8 on Heico setup - (looks considerably lower than the S60 above. Unclear if he's got coils or the spring/space setup.)

@Dodd S60 on Heico Springs - does not looks slammed like Heico's site show. He's running a 21mm spacer in the rear leaf setup.

Sport Chassis Photos

@easyhunter V60 T6 looks like euro-spec Sport Chassis

@aonarch sport chassis V60 T5

@Symtom S60 with Sport Chassis and rear spacer removed.

@EMRtek S60 with Sport Chassis and 15mm rear leaf spacer installed

Confirmed Sport Chasis from Instagram user @oboyalkis.
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

H&R Spring Setup

Official photos from their site.

Eibach - haven’t seen one car with their springs installed.

Instagram is full of photos - unfortunately I did not make notes when screen shooting some of these. Happy to remove or update.

Personally,the look I'm going for ... @j0hnsvenss0n - Confirmed with him this is the euro Sport Chassis R-Design stock setup.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

This stock euro Sport Chassis @steffs_garage ...perfect drop.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow i have never seen a post with so much information in it. Very neat
Heico used 21 inch on the pictures. So the lowering might be a bit optimistic…

Last week i installed the Heico spacers.
Rear 30 mm, front 20 mm
Oem sport chassis, leaf spacers rear completely removed. Front is oem.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 V60 R-Design
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow i have never seen a post with so much information in it. Very neat
Heico used 21 inch on the pictures. So the lowering might be a bit optimistic…

Last week i installed the Heico spacers.
Rear 30 mm, front 20 mm
Oem sport chassis, leaf spacers rear completely removed. Front is oem.

Amazing. This is the spirit! Thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
This could be useful info to some hopefully! I think to summarize though the situation is rather simple for most: There are a few lowering springs available from a handful of mfrs. They are front springs and you need to swap rear spacers to match the new front height. Maybe as these cars change hands and age out of warranty the desires will get more involved. I got some plans for that but a long way off.

The rear spring, to swap the spacer, needs to be compressed and released with a special Volvo tool to unbolt it, and it's kind of infuriating to me as Heico glosses over it when they do a video about install of their coilovers...and they completely cut out any mention of the compressing the rear spring from the video. Yet the pdf instructions they provide, they cut and paste from Volvo VIDA service procedure which details using the special Volvo tool to compress the spring. It's not clear if they are saying "for liability we include the Volvo procedure, but in reality you can remove the lower control arm by just unbolting the spring"

I think most here have had the springs installed by a dealer. Would be good to know if anyone has done this themselves or alternative ways to release the spring tension in the rear...

·
Registered
2020 V60 R-Design
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as how there are very few examples of people running the H&R and Eibach options...I'm inclined to pursue a Volvo setup. Knowing that doing a full Sport Chassis swap is cost prohibitive, it is the best look in my opinion.

So for us plebs without the Sport Chassis, maybe sourcing the SC springs, dampers, sway bar would be enough to complete the look and upgrade performance a little bit.

Especially since it's been determined that H&R and Eibach offer about the same ride as stock springs. And Bilstein isn't making an upgraded shock for the SPA V60.

Who can help source the springs, dampers and sway bars?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does Heico spacers include new bolts? And I assume that installing is very easy.
Yes they come with new ( longer ) bolts.
Lock bolts i ordered separately.

Installation is 123 easy.

I put some special wheel paste on the back of the spacers to just let them stick.
And then put the wheel(s) back on there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts