SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, <br>I just picked up a new to me 04 s60r. Id like to lower the rear some, but i'm worried about a full set of springs. My old 850R got pretty stiff on H&Rs. Its got new 18 pegs with some garbage brand new tires. Thanks for the insight.<br>Mike

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Hi Mike,<p>I only lowered the rear of my S60R using TME springs (not easily accessible here in the US) and camber adjustment bushings in the rear to address the negative camber. Car now sits evenly with the front axle (stock springs), and I prefer it this way as the front is low enough as it is. I recommend you consider lowering only the rear!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

I have a pair of Evolve rear springs that I'm looking to sell. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: (George @ ViVA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>George @ ViVA</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Mike,<p>I only lowered the rear of my S60R using TME springs (not easily accessible here in the US) and camber adjustment bushings in the rear to address the negative camber. Car now sits evenly with the front axle (stock springs), and I prefer it this way as the front is low enough as it is. I recommend you consider lowering only the rear!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>IIRC, moddeR did this as well and was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (bb vign)

This is good to know, I am thinking of lowering and this sounds like a good solution.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Doesn't TME have a different spring rate than the stock springs? If that's the case.. not such a good idea.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: (xman03)

The OEM & TME Springs are linear rate:<p>OEM - F: 115#/in R: 220#/in<br>TME - F: 140#/in R: 260 #/in<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>xman03</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't TME have a different spring rate than the stock springs? If that's the case.. not such a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Why would it be a "bad" idea? These cars need a stiffer rear to cut down on the under-steer (why I use a 25mm rear bar with the stock 23.5mm front bar). The difference of 220 to 260 isn't that much. The difference is the ride height - if you plan to carry anything in the trunk, I would imagine it will sit even lower then.<p>I routinely carry about 200# of scuba gear in my trunk - that levels it out perfectly!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: (jrgoffin)

Having a rear sway with the factory one in the front is a good idea for cars that understeer in the first place. In terms of spring rate you want a stiffer rate on the heavier side of the car; on the front of the R in this case.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: (jrgoffin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>jrgoffin</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>I routinely carry about 200# of scuba gear in my trunk - that levels it out perfectly!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yeah, I've got 200# of something that belongs in the river in my trunk too. Sleepin wit da fishes...see???

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: (BeerEngineer)

This may be a stupid question, and feel free to flame me as appropriate, but has anyone simply cut their rear springs? I've seen it frequently done with other marques, but have never heard of anyone here doing it. I'm sure the rears have a pigtail end or something so probably wouldn't work, but I thought I'd ask.<p>I too would like to level out the rear. I think my front ride height is perfect, but the rear has quite a bit of space between the tire and the fender.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts