SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do lowering springs and I'm running 18 inch rims right now. I wanted to make it as flush as possible, so what springs would give me the best drop?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Coil-over is the preferred way for even rear spacing vs. front spacing.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Coil over

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will eventually get coil overs, but for the time being i wanted to just get springs

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
i will eventually get coil overs, but for the time being i wanted to just get springs
Don't do it! If you want coil over get it now or wait a little. Save your money! By the time you'll have your spring done you'll be thinking of new shocks and the total will cost you about the same if not more.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Elevate Spring seems to be the Best for getting a Spring Lowering & Rear sway bar matching the Chassis .

H&R might be a smidgen better ride .

The Low Cost Eibrach Pro Sports were $100.00 less 1.5 yrs. ago , but since the Economy took a
dump the $339.00 H&R's are at $269.00 Best Price .

The SPC Camber Units can be had at a Great Price @ www.RockAuto.com

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I picked up my H&R springs 2 weeks ago for $259. lowest price i could find

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Spring Help a lot and so do Coil Over's , as Far as one being better Handing then the other - It sure seems the H&R Spring & Coil over combo would do the best on
county roads where it might be bumpy .

Either way Our Chassis's aren't set up the best in Anti-Dive & ABS is tweaked toward Snow Covered roads .
I'm wondering If any of those White-Line - Bushing would help in that Department .

I Installed a Set in the VW - CC - along with a Solid Front Bar , instead of the stock Hollow bar . Much more Flatness , plus the tweak in Camber ( Bushings ) made it completely
Neutral - It is now 2 steps up on Handling .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so as far as springs so, it seems that H&R are the best?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Pretty sure MazdaSpeed3 spring applications work as well...I know there are guys who run them on their C30s. Not sure if there's a price difference. Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Pretty sure MazdaSpeed3 spring applications work as well...I know there are guys who run them on their C30s. Not sure if there's a price difference. Might want to check that out.
You should know that the ms3 is lighter than the c30 which is lighter than the s40. Prices on the Megan springs are lower there and will provide probably the lowest drop. However beware that you might rub. The c30s don't rub.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dude. THIS!

Don't do it! If you want coil over get it now or wait a little. Save your money! By the time you'll have your spring done you'll be thinking of new shocks and the total will cost you about the same if not more.
I just had springs and shocks installed. Ride and handling are vastly improved but the stance is off for my liking. My car now has a 'rake'. The pics show the fender gap difference front to rear. I'm switching to coil-overs to level it out, and likely improve handling a bit more.

Current suspension setup:
Evolve (Elevate) springs (1.5" front/1.4" rear drop)
SPC adjustable rear control arms
Koni FSD shocks (2100-4039)
18" Pegs/Conti DWs (235/40/18)
Hubcentric aluminum spacers (65.1mm - 63.4mm)
iPD rear anti-sway bar

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
^ Do what Kyle (ForceFed) did and cut a coil out of the rear springs. It looked a lot better after that...do a site search, I'm sure you'll be able to dig it up. If you're happy with the ride, but unhappy with the appearance...that will save you tonnes of dough.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
^ Do what Kyle (ForceFed) did and cut a coil out of the rear springs. It looked a lot better after that...do a site search, I'm sure you'll be able to dig it up. If you're happy with the ride, but unhappy with the appearance...that will save you tonnes of dough.
Kyle is always doing more aggressive mods. It's nothing against Kyle. It's very cool to see enthusiasts push the limits! But personally I would not recommend cutting hardened springs. Just a tad too dangerous for my liking to recommend someone to do this :p

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Bah, I wouldn't say it's dangerous. Cutting 2 or 3 coils out might be, but half a coil or one coil should be alright :)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sorry to steal this thread a bit but for example its not worth just getting the elevate springs..instead just go and get the coil upgrade???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts