SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to see how i liked the look of an exposed intercooler. What do you guys think of it?
Yes, it'd be nice if my IC was new and shiny but its not. Overall i like the look of it but its just a bit scrappy for me, not very clean looking.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I could clean up the look a bit? I'd like to keep the tabs so i can put the grill back later if I want to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I just used some plasticoat to make the edges look a bit more clean. Not a huge difference but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
think you could grab a close up of the detail on it? Yours looks good. did you dip it black on the inside?
also your IC is nice and shiny-- haha mines faded as hell... i was thinking about polishing it wish toothpase or something but the fins will still be faded and i want to avoid taking the bumper off again haha.

my other idea was to find a used lower grill, and cut all the fins out, just mount the plastic edge into the clips as a border/molding to see if thatd look good. but im not sure how itd work out.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahah! how log have you been waiting to say that?
its always, sell your 2.4 and get a t5! hahaha

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^ so how did you achieve that? cut the tabs off?

edit: okay i see they glued a silver trim piece behind. looks like they trimmed the tabs too or something.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Made a custom mesh grill for mine and used the old clips to mount it.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
^ so how did you achieve that? cut the tabs off?

edit: okay i see they glued a silver trim piece behind. looks like they trimmed the tabs too or something.
Yes, the Bell intercooler is quite a bit larger than stock and the fascia needs to be trimmed. The tabs must be cut off, and in fact the side pieces and lower edge needs to be trimmed back toward the bottom. Look at the other photos in that thread and you can see the new angles.

It's easy to do, just use a sharp new utility knife blade and push it through the material. It's not reversible, of course. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice^ not a bad idea

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Close up shot.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
And another shot.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nope. I didn't realize until I put the bumper cover back on. I'll fix it when I install my DEM block off and blow off valve.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
One can always do without a grill :D
Same old pics:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice^ to both!
I decided to plastidip the grill- so it's now the same exact color as it was before lol. But my FMIC is a few years old now so some of the fins are bent and the aluminum is very faded, so it it looked cool but not nice and shiny.
I did something with the upper grill emblem I thought was pretty cool- I'll post a picture when the paint dries in a few minutes...

edit: pictures tomorrow- paint needs to dry overnight

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
One can always do without a grill :D
Same old pics:
What's up with the fog light covers did you dremmel them out?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just an update: painted the little plastic inlays in the slash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts