SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am changing out the lower control arms and one of the bolts was rusted tight and snapped off. The one that snapped is on the driver's side, the rearmost of the pair of bolts that hold the front of the control arm to the subframe.

My question is whether there is a trick to inserting a new bolt, or if I am stuck with either lowering the subframe or lifting the engine. If I need to take the latter approach, I would be inclined to lift the engine, though am interested in what others think.

2005 V70 2.4 (non-turbo)

thanks.

G

·
PB Blaster and Heat. A lot of it. Oxy acetylene or MAPP gas torch, propane torch won't work. Ask me how I know

It sounds like the bolt is Rusted in the collar oh, the best thing you can do now is get in there with an air chisel of sorts or some sort of punch and drive it out. That's assuming it with the head that broke off and not the nut side on top. Otherwise? I don't know what to tell you other than good luck LOL. These control arms are a pain in the ass

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am changing out the lower control arms and one of the bolts was rusted tight and snapped off. The one that snapped is on the driver's side, the rearmost of the pair of bolts that hold the front of the control arm to the subframe.

My question is whether there is a trick to inserting a new bolt, or if I am stuck with either lowering the subframe or lifting the engine. If I need to take the latter approach, I would be inclined to lift the engine, though am interested in what others think.

2005 V70 2.4 (non-turbo)

thanks.
I would lift the engine. You might have to loosen the motor mounts. I replaced the LCA on my 07 and from what I remember there was not much lift to clear in order to put in a new bolt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is not the issue - I removed the control arm without any problem. Just wondering about getting the new bolt in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would lift the engine. You might have to loosen the motor mounts. I replaced the LCA on my 07 and from what I remember there was not much lift to clear in order to put in a new bolt.
I would definitely loosing the mounts. VIDA says that the engine needs to be lifted an inch in order to install the LCA bolts, and it is not that hard to do (had to lift it more than that when I replaced the motor mounts) - just wondering if there was a sneaky shortcut someone had figured out.

G

·
I misread that, my apologies. I thought you were talking about the vertical Bolt on the rear bushing.

On my 04, there was enough room to get in there with a short socket and a skinny ratchet to tighten it down after I threaded it by hand. It may be different on 05 though oh, I haven't looked. The control arms bolt to the subframe, so lifting the engine should give you enough room to insert the bolt. A flex head ratcheting wrench would also help

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Offset wrench? This is how I did it many times...

Getting a wrench on the bolt head is not the problem. As you note, an offset wrench will do the trick, as will a short socket on a small ratchet (in fact, that is what I was using when the bolt sheared). The problem is getting the replacement long bolt fitted in the hole - which will be easy with the engine lifted an inch. I was just trying to see if anyone knew any tricks to avoid that lift.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The control arms bolt to the subframe, so lifting the engine should give you enough room to insert the bolt.
Lifting the engine an inch will definitely provide enough room - I was just looking for tricks to avoid doing that lift. But I think that doing the lift will allow me to use a torque wrench, so some benefit from that.

G

·
Lifting the engine an inch will definitely provide enough room - I was just looking for tricks to avoid doing that lift. But I think that doing the lift will allow me to use a torque wrench, so some benefit from that.
Ain't hard lol. Unbolt the 2 lower torque mount nuts, lift engine. Shouldnt need more than 1/4" tbh if you use a stubby extension with socket from what i recall when i attempted my lca's

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Think I am all set now - but it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can finish the job, as I have some travel coming up. Will report back when I do finish.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Getting a wrench on the bolt head is not the problem. As you note, an offset wrench will do the trick, as will a short socket on a small ratchet (in fact, that is what I was using when the bolt sheared). The problem is getting the replacement long bolt fitted in the hole - which will be easy with the engine lifted an inch. I was just trying to see if anyone knew any tricks to avoid that lift.
Use floor jack, engine mounts will flex enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lifting the motor about an inch, maybe a little less did the trick.

For the left (driver's) side, I loosened, but did not remove, the lower bolt in the front main mount. Bolt is long enough so you can leave it in place and still get enough lift. Look in the hole with a flashlight to see how far out you have it.

For the right (passenger) side, I removed the two bolts that attach the mount to the engine. Only issue there is that they get an angle torque, so should be replaced with new bolts.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts