SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Here's a rookie question, so bear with me please :)

I bought two lower control arms for the V50.

Noticed that the ball joint bolt/pin on the right control arm is looser than the one on the left control arm. In other words, it is easier to push the bolt side to side or round in circles.

Which made me wonder how tight these ball joints are supposed to be for horizontal movement - and how big the range of movement should be? There is zero vertical movement - the joint is very tight there.

Thanks!

The arm/ball joint look just like this one:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think you a referring to how easily it operates like a joystick, not actual horizontal movement or play. They will vary in "tightness" to some degree. Manufacturing tolerance + it takes awhile for the grease to be become spread around as well. If we are talking about actual play after the joint is installed.... Zero, none, nil.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you a referring to how easily it operates like a joystick, not actual horizontal movement or play. They will vary in "tightness" to some degree. Manufacturing tolerance + it takes awhile for the grease to be become spread around as well. If we are talking about actual play after the joint is installed.... Zero, none, nil.
Thanks pczeilon! Yes, I am referring to joystick movement - just didn't quite know how to explain it :)

How does one know if they are acceptable - without installing them first? As mentioned one of the ball joints is pretty firm, but still allows for "joystick movement" whereas the RH ball joint is significantly looser. Just wondering if a looser joystick movement equals bad joint?

This youtube video didn't exactly make me less confused :)

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm sure they are just fine. Like you said, there is no vertical play & it's a "ball" joint. Worn ones will be "floppy" as the video mentioned. In other words, if you removed the rubber boot the stud would simply fall to the side under it's own weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts