SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my brake lights are out, and the console is throwing the "Check brake light" error.

Bulbs have been replaced, mechanic said they were good, and old ones were definitely blown. Fuses are good -- replaced them anyway, still no go.

The brake light at the top center of the glass works great, just the lower taillights.

Any ideas of what to specifically look for? The mechanic is not Volvo-specific or trained, so he will not be working on the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
shot in the dark here but....

I had the same probelm a few days ago with my s80's headlight (just one light) it was the connection to the bulb....make sure your wires are tight thats all I can think of....which isnt much... sorry :-(

also go to the r section...there is going to be a Volvo GTG in austin June 17th might be interested.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Lower brake lights out (AR)

Are the bulbs the right ones?? It sounds like there is a voltage difference and that the system is detecting that. Check the bulbs and make sure you have the right ones. Make sure they are the P21W bulbs. It does make a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fixed a car like that... it turned out to be a bad relay at the CEM. Which is under the driver side dash... but I would try other things first..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Bender)

Yes they are the correct bulbs -- Osram P21W. They're the only type available, they look exactly the same as the originals.

It's funny though, Autozone said that there were two models of lights available for me -- one looked like what I had, one looked smaller than less bulbous at the end. Maybe I should give those a whirl.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Lower brake lights out (AR)

I know it sounds odd, but you might call the dealer to see if your car has been in for the latest recalls/etc., especially recall 155 (electronic throttle module). I say this because I know that they typically update all software in the car to the newest version when the car is in, and issues like that can sometimes be solved through software updates. I work for a Volvo dealer and have heard of turn signal issues, etc. that were solved by new software..

- Lynn

(Mr) Lynn Brockman
2002 Volvo S60 AWD, Titanium Green metallic, 17" Thor wheels, etc. (as yet unmodified except PIAA headlight bulbs..)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Lower brake lights out (lbrockman)

Thank you for the reply -- I apologize for never replying to state that this issue was resolved.

It turned out to be a bad relay. The relay that I traded for the brakelight relay was also bad (what are the chances), so it wasn't a true test of the system. I took it into the dealership and they resolved it within literally 10 minutes (after I'd already left).

$60 or so, and everything is working great! I hear you about the software updates as well -- I have seen some of those issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts