SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the manual I can't seem to find the location of the lowbeam relay/fuse. I recently purchased a brand new set of euro headlamps and got the low beam bulb failure message. Checked the connecter, everything seems tight and snug. Highbeam, turn signals all seem to function normally, just can't get the darn lowbeams to turn on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The headlamps, both high and low beams, do not have fuses or relays. They are directly driven from the CEM. It looks like the CEM fuse associated with the headlamps are 11A/1 and 11A/2 but these power the CEM so if they were blown a lot more systems would not be working. Are you trying to swap halogen for Xenon? That is not a simple swap. If not try testing the actual low beam bulbs with an ohmmeter or battery.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. My car came with xenon headlamps so it should be a simple swap. I’ll test out the bulbs to see what’s going on there. Thanks, brian

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for your help. My car came with xenon headlamps so it should be a simple swap. I’ll test out the bulbs to see what’s going on there. Thanks, brian
You'd think that, but there are additional options on the Euro headlights that the US didn't get like a switchable "tourist" mode that could change the lights from RHD to LHD aiming when you went to a country that drove on the other side of the road and an active high beam that worked with cameras in the car to dynamically aim the high beam, without dimming it, so that it wouldn't blind other drivers. The US got neither option so if you got Euro lights with those options it may be confusing the CEM, which is expecting US spec lighting units.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points. I know other members have had these work as a simple plug and play as long as the car was originally equipped with xenons. These are the lhd variants of the euro headlamps, but I guess I will have lots of fun trying to work this bug out. Luckily I don’t need to drive this car so it can sit out once the sun goes down:) thanks again for your help. Brian

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doh, figured it out. the headlamp did not have the xenon ballast installed. Not sure if they were suppose to come with them, but at least i know why they weren't working:) thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
doh, figured it out. the headlamp did not have the xenon ballast installed. Not sure if they were suppose to come with them, but at least i know why they weren't working:) thanks!
Excellent! Love when it's something simple!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts