SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the roof rack & roof cargo box for the '17 XC90 Inscription. Since the height of my garage is only 83 inches (give or take), would prefer a setup that will allow me to drive right in with the box on top.

I'm mainly using the cargo box for camping gear, so it doesn't need to be super large. The lowest profile box I can find so far is the Inno 660, which is 11 inches in height.

I was wondering what is the lowest profile racks (Thule, Yakima?) & cargo boxes out there? Open to suggestions and ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Low Profile Roof Rack & Roof Box Ideas

I spent a lot of time searching for a low profile roof box when we got our XC90 in 2016. You could look at the packline range- a Norwegian brand I think very similar to the Volvo roof box from Thule. It would need to be imported or purchased from a reseller.

https://packline-roofbox.com/car-brand/volvo/

I never found a set of low profile foot pads and bars. That’s where you will gain the most in profile. The Volvo (Thule) set is easily 5 inches from the roof bar to the rail.

Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts

I did a TON of research on this and went with the Inno Shadow 15. It’s been a beast of a box for ski season and looks awesome on the XC90. Fits through my garage door with less than an inch of clearance. Mounted on Thule Aeroblade Edge bars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I spent a lot of time searching for a low profile roof box when we got our XC90 in 2016. You could look at the packline range- a Norwegian brand I think very similar to the Volvo roof box from Thule. It would need to be imported or purchased from a reseller.

https://packline-roofbox.com/car-brand/volvo/

I never found a set of low profile foot pads and bars. That’s where you will gain the most in profile. The Volvo (Thule) set is easily 5 inches from the roof bar to the rail.

Let us know what you find.

Second that. From what I've been able to find Packline is as low as it gets. Not cheap though..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Second that. From what I've been able to find Packline is as low as it gets. Not cheap though..
It wasn’t that much more expensive than the Volvo roof box. There’s a reseller in the UK but the payment/ translation was hard to work out. In the end I went with the Volvo one. I’m happy with it and it looks good on both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations - will certainly start researching again and see what will fit best. Will keep you'all updated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a TON of research on this and went with the Inno Shadow 15. It’s been a beast of a box for ski season and looks awesome on the XC90. Fits through my garage door with less than an inch of clearance. Mounted on Thule Aeroblade Edge bars.

Was thinking of similar setup with the Inno Wedge 660.

You wouldn't happen to have the height from ground to top (highest point) of your box would you? I know there's gonna be some variance but gives me an idea. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was thinking of similar setup with the Inno Wedge 660.

You wouldn't happen to have the height from ground to top (highest point) of your box would you? I know there's gonna be some variance but gives me an idea. Thanks
I’ve got the box and bars in storage for the summer, but it fits through a San Francisco (smaller than average) garage door with about an inch to spare.

·
Registered
169 Posts

In and out the garage with no problems

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the inno wedge 660 on Yakima bars. The Yakima bars are higher than the Thule/Volvo bars (momentum). 83 inches will fit. The height from the bar on this box is less than 10 inches due to the bars being recessed into the 11 inches of box height. If my garage door is not fully open (like when you lift it by hand due to a power outage) the box will catch the handle for opening and closing the garage door. I had to fix mine with g-flex epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I have 83 inches of opening height, so if you use the Volvo bars should be fine with an inch plus to spare. My box is off right now, but I could put it back on if you need measurements, but rest assured the wedge 660 will work. Also the Thule Alpine xt mentioned above is an inch+ taller than the Thule flow 606 that it replaced. The inno wedge 660 or shadow 15 should both work for me for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Edit: I hav a momentum so different roof rails. I can get a measurement from the roof to the top of the load bars to allow you to compare momentum vs inscription.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Since the height of my garage is only 83 inches (give or take), would prefer a setup that will allow me to drive right in with the box on top.
Just to be sure, you mean 83" is the lowest feature (probably the garage door motor unit bottom or the garage door itself when open) from the floor, and not from floor to garage ceiling, correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to be sure, you mean 83" is the lowest feature (probably the garage door motor unit bottom or the garage door itself when open) from the floor, and not from floor to garage ceiling, correct?
yes, correct - the height of the garage door when open

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the inno wedge 660 on Yakima bars. The Yakima bars are higher than the Thule/Volvo bars (momentum). 83 inches will fit. The height from the bar on this box is less than 10 inches due to the bars being recessed into the 11 inches of box height. If my garage door is not fully open (like when you lift it by hand due to a power outage) the box will catch the handle for opening and closing the garage door. I had to fix mine with g-flex epoxy and fiberglass cloth. I have 83 inches of opening height, so if you use the Volvo bars should be fine with an inch plus to spare. My box is off right now, but I could put it back on if you need measurements, but rest assured the wedge 660 will work. Also the Thule Alpine xt mentioned above is an inch+ taller than the Thule flow 606 that it replaced. The inno wedge 660 or shadow 15 should both work for me for you.
Thank you - that's very helpful information! :thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
My garage door is even lower....77". I'm guessing a box is out of the question. Thinking of ski rack. Any have the Volvo Aeroblade Edge and can provide how high does the top sit above the roof?

My plan B would be a hitch mount rack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My garage door is even lower....77". I'm guessing a box is out of the question. Thinking of ski rack... My plan B would be a hitch mount rack.
I have a variety of rack and roof box options for my vehicles, but usually in the XC90 I just lower the center section of the second row seat back and throw everything in a big waterproof ski bag which protects the upholstery. It doesn't work for long distance road trips when the car is full of people and gear, but is fine for day skiing.

I've used a hitch mount rack on a previous Defender 90, and whatever you carry behind the car gets filthy in snowy conditions. If the hitch rack carries skis vertically like mine did, you'll still have clearance issues because you have to keep the tails high enough to avoid scraping the ground - or you have to remember not to drive into your garage with the skis still attached. I would put my garage door opener in the trunk whenever I loaded anything that wouldn't fit through the garage door.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
317 Posts
My garage door is even lower....77". I'm guessing a box is out of the question. Thinking of ski rack. Any have the Volvo Aeroblade Edge and can provide how high does the top sit above the roof?

My plan B would be a hitch mount rack.

Thanks.
Sounds like my garage. Should trade for a wagon - problem solved! :D

I don’t think I saw the Thule Pulse Alpine mentioned, but that’s another shorty at 12” tall. Older model so can potentially be found for cheaper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like my garage. Should trade for a wagon - problem solved! :D

I don’t think I saw the Thule Pulse Alpine mentioned, but that’s another shorty at 12” tall. Older model so can potentially be found for cheaper.
I need the third row. If only v60 can seat 7.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts