SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 V50 with 125k on it. Just recently I noticed a rather annoying low-pitched hum emanating from my tires at speeds above 30 MPH. I suspect it's wheel bearings. Does anyone have any input on this? It sounds like I have really knobby tread on my wheels (Although that's not the case).

·
Registered
315 Posts
To check if it's the front bearings turn the wheel back and forth while moving and see if the sound changes or goes away one direction (mine sounded like a tractor). I've had to replace the front right side twice in 106,000 miles.

The noise could also be cupped tires from poor alignment. I've found that as close to 0 toe in as possible helped with front cupping. The rear tires wear the insides out due to the camber our cars have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm going to take it to a local mechanic tomorrow to have the alignment and bearings checked, and probably have the tires rotated (I would check the bearings and rotate the tires myself, but I don't have the tools, since I'm in college...) I'm also going to check for tread wear.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Interesting. Keep us updated. I had my front bearing hubs replaced and still have a low rumbling sound. My ears just may be too tuned-in to all the sounds of the car these days (or for me, it could be the rear hubs doing this...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts