SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I checked the oil today on my 2007 XC70 (78,000 miles) and it was about a 1/4" below the low mark on the dip stick. The car has never burned or leaked oil since new. Honestly I don't check the level as often as I should (now I will) and it could have a few thousand miles on it with this level. It's possible the dealer underfilled it last change or it's developed a leak. I topped it off with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart.

So on this 2.5t engine, is there any damage as a result of this? Anything to do at this point aside from checking for leaks and maybe changing the oil?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You did not cause any damage
Now monitor your oil consumption every 1000 miles.
They WILL start to burn a little as you approach 100K miles. Volvo says 1 qt every 1000 miles is OK. I burn about 1/2 qt every 4500 to 5K miles at 134K on the car.
It also depends on how hard the engine is worked and in what conditions (outside temperatures, towing, flooring it a lot, etc). Also at your miles it's almost time to do a breather unless you've been using synthetic and changing it every 5K miles or so. At least check the breather for pressure.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did not cause any damage
Now monitor your oil consumption every 1000 miles.
They WILL start to burn a little as you approach 100K miles. Volvo says 1 qt every 1000 miles is OK. I burn about 1/2 qt every 4500 to 5K miles at 134K on the car.
It also depends on how hard the engine is worked and in what conditions (outside temperatures, towing, flooring it a lot, etc). Also at your miles it's almost time to do a breather unless you've been using synthetic and changing it every 5K miles or so. At least check the breather for pressure.
Jim. Thanks so much for your reply. I was hoping you'd respond as you know these vehicles best. All seems fine.

Best,

Stew

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, the one made from natural gas. It has a very low NOACK volatility rating. My 2.5T was burning a little oil but now burns zero with that oil

·
Registered
8 Posts
My V70 (195,000miles) was burning about 1 qt per 1000mi when I was driving alot of hwy miles on 5w30 mobil 1. I did switch to 10w30 and oil loss was less per 1000mi No damage, as there is a service warning light if the level gets too low....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts