SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I've now gotten the low oil warning twice since I did the oil change about 2.5K miles ago. I just before this went 5K on an oil change and it didn't come on once... I don't have any smoke coming out of the tail, and I can't find a leak anywhere... I thought that it recently leaked out some because the PCV was broken into pieces, but now that it's fixed it shouldn't be an issue.... What could the cause be? Just looking for some insight on to possible causes.... I highly doubt there's any internal engine issues.

A side note: It only comes on after like 30 minutes of driving, it's almost like the oil isn't draining fast enough. If I let the car sit for a while it won't come on for a day or two.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What is the level on the dipstick? Are you needing to add oil to make it go away? It may be the oil sensor going bad. It also senses oil quality and might give the same message, but I can't remember for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Sea foam and do another change? I wonder if you don't have some light blockage.

As mentioned above, what did the dipstick say?

I've personally had mine come back after topping it off, but it goes away after a little bit.

Also, did you put in a whole quart at the first signal of issue?

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
I am having the low coolant message show up for a second and turn right off sometimes and my coolant is always between the min and max. faulty sensor?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you're above minimun it should not come on

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're above minimun it should not come on
It only comes on when I drive the car for a little bit, I'm starting to think it's some small blockage or something. I guess I'll seafoam before the next change... I added about 2/3 of a quart since it came on the first time, including today.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
my low oil warning will come on long before i get to the minimum mark on the dipstick. i think it comes on at approximately the halfway mark between max and min. these cars like to be topped up all the way. i burn a little bit of oil, nothing noticable in the exhaust, but from reading different threads on this forum i think that burning a bit of oil is not uncommon. definitely keep an eye on your dipstick to try and rule out/confirm a fulty sensor. if youve had to top it up twice in 3k miles and you added 2/3 of a quart in total i dont think that is that bad. but definitely do seafoam anyways, it smooths the engine out, it definitely makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I know I burn a quart at exactly 3k miles....I use it to judge when I need an oil change, after two added quarts IT's TIME.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you're not burning it - then you're losing it...

Check the turbo return and other lines around the car for leaks.
If it's a new leak in an odd place you can lose a fair bit of oil before you see drips (especially with dirty engines)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're not burning it - then you're losing it...

Check the turbo return and other lines around the car for leaks.
If it's a new leak in an odd place you can lose a fair bit of oil before you see drips (especially with dirty engines)
I guess I'll start searching :eek:

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I know I burn a quart at exactly 3k miles....I use it to judge when I need an oil change, after two added quarts IT's TIME.
I change my oil every 6 months regardless...last change only had 600 mi on the oil, you could have probably used it in your car lol

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
i just had this and had to add more, 2nd time since i've owned the car. i never had the problem when using castrol, since dealer and i switched to mobil 1 i normally get low oil where i have to add a quart right around 3k miles. I've just switched out to rotella t-6. I'm expecting to burn less. not a big deal, these cars will burn some.

what weight oil are you running?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just had this and had to add more, 2nd time since i've owned the car. i never had the problem when using castrol, since dealer and i switched to mobil 1 i normally get low oil where i have to add a quart right around 3k miles. I've just switched out to rotella t-6. I'm expecting to burn less. not a big deal, these cars will burn some.

what weight oil are you running?
10W30 full synth currently valvoline, because it was on sale for $3.30 a quart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts