SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 2001 S60 T5. The LOW OIL PRESSURE STOP ASAP alert keeps popping up intermittently, my oil level is OK when I check and it only comes up when I slow down or come to a stop. Could it be a dirty sensor? I am due for a service this weekend (even though my service required indicator hasn't showed).

Even at low speeds it doesn't come on and only when stopping. When I am stationary (idle) it doesn't come on. It pops up during traffic driving (frequent stop and go). I have also seen it pop up during cornering (left turns only). It also doesn't result in higher temperatures. I can go for days without it showing.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can it be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
im going to go out on a limb here, but LISTEN TO YOUR CAR.. shut it off and get it towed before you severly destroy something.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I wouldn't ignore that warning. There may be many reasons for it, some of them inocuous (like a bad sensor) and some of them really bad (like a bad pump or clogged filter/line).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: The problem happened to be the oil pan o-rings. I got it checked out and found out that there is usually a problem with a seal in the oil pump which becomes worn after a while that may contribute to the alert that I got on the dash. Again thanks for the advice.

At least if anyone has the same problem in the future they will know the solution http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

And good news the gasket was rather cheap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have the exact same symptoms on my 1996 960. I haven't driven it since I noticed the problem and I'm awaiting my mechanic friend to come and investigate.

From your last comment, that the gasket was cheap, I guess I should hope it's that! Was it an easy job to fix? I was expecting that this problem would probably be too expensive to fix, thus scrap my car.

Could you give me any more details to pass on please?

Many thanks indeed

Simon

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (dangermousse)

The gasket set is cheap, the labor is about 3 to 4 hours.
Lots of cleaning involved along with the new O-rings
(Just had it done YESTERDAY to one of the cars I have for sale)
You have to do it right and by doing so, cleaning out all the crud in the pan, will let the engine lead a very long life afterwards

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sounds good, I really hope this is the problem with mine!!

I'd like to order the parts in readiness for my mechanic friend coming (and in the hope that this is my problem). What do I need to order?

Thanks a lot for your help

Simon

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (dangermousse)

O ring kit xxx (don't have the slip in front of me) and a couple of cheap other little clips, etc.
The parts are cheap, it's the labor $$ so make sure that if you're spending the money, to have that oil pan completely cleaned throughly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.