SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 60k on my car, and a few nagging issues, namely "oil level low" warning comming on at about 3000 miles. My oil change procedure, after replacing Oil filter, and re-filling oil in the crank case is follows.

-Pour oil
-Start car 10 seconds
-Let car sit 20 seconds
-Check oil, add oil as necessary.

After the car runs for 10 seconds.... then sits for 20 seconds, if the oil level is close to full I'm okay with it, or at the full line.

Now, the car sits for the day, and its close to about 1/2 - 2/3 full. With the warning message occationally comming on.

Would the PCV system need to be serviced/replaced?

I have no oil leaks, this is the 2nd oil change where this has happened. I'm using Amsoil 5-30

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So your saying you don't fill it all the way?

or are you saying that the engine is consuming some oil?

The PCV system takes the oil out of the air and returns it to the engine. Unless its leaking or clogged I wouldn't replace it for another 50k miles

You may want to look into the ipd turbo seal kit
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S6...6-666/

Also Amsoil from what I hear is great oil, But it is not API Certified (some of there oil is some isn't) but Im thinking maybe you should run thicker oil

You could also check the oil sensor, make sure its still good

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: Low Oil Level warning... (chinaonnitrous1)

My first R did that one time. Everything was great for a good long while, then out of nowhere the low oil level warning came on. I pulled over immediately, checked the oil, and everything seemed fine. I started the car again, warning was gone, and kept driving. Fifteen minutes later it came on again, so I pulled into a gas station and added oil. By chance I happened to be heading to the dealer and called them to let them know this new problem. I arrived, they changed the oil, and it never, ever happened again...

Have you ever addressed the issue with a dealer before?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Cjones16)

Quote, originally posted by Cjones16 »
So your saying you don't fill it all the way?

or are you saying that the engine is consuming some oil?

You may want to look into the ipd turbo seal kit
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S6...6-666/

You could also check the oil sensor, make sure its still good

~ I ensure its full...

~ *checking out seal kit* I don't think that would be it since theres no smell of burning oil, and I doubt that little seal would cause me to leak out that much oil..

~ I'll look into the oil sensor.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

I will now stand on my soapbox and remind all that the oil level sensor also monitors oil quality. however, if it detects low quality, you get the low quantity (level) warning.

So the sensor could definitely be bad.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Your soap box looks a bit heatsoaked.

May I reccomend a FMIC for it?

Its my understanding that being 1/2 way down on the dipstick will indicate about 1/2 quart low?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

But in all seriousness, do you put 5.8 quarts in total? Or just fill till it looks full?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: Low Oil Level warning... (chinaonnitrous1)

I've been having some oil consumption issues myself. Already replaced the oil trap (which wasn't necessary). Next step is to install a catch can and do a leak-down + compression test.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (djkronik57)

Quote, originally posted by djkronik57 »

But in all seriousness, do you put 5.8 quarts in total? Or just fill till it looks full?

I put in 1 complete gallon, and most of the 2nd one. So just about 6 quarts.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
I will now stand on my soapbox and remind all that the oil level sensor also monitors oil quality. however, if it detects low quality, you get the low quantity (level) warning.

So the sensor could definitely be bad.

He's using the wrong oil.

Volvo recommends Castrol Full Synthetic.

The oil quality sensor is calibrated with this oil -- anything else might give you the "low oil level" warning light.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »
He's using the wrong oil.

Volvo recommends Castrol Full Synthetic.

The oil quality sensor is calibrated with this oil -- anything else might give you the "low oil level" warning light.

Hmmmm.........my oil sensor is happy with M1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts