SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My message center occasionally (maybe every other day or so for a brief amount of time) displays this message. When I check the dipstick, the oil level is midway between the min/max marks, even if the caR has sat overnight in the garage (level surface). I suspect the oil level sensor might be going bad. What are your thoughts?

For those that have replaced your oil level sensor yourself, any help, suggestions, pics, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would guess/assume the sensor is located within the oil pan and would require me to drop the oil pan.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My message center occasionally (maybe every other day or so for a brief amount of time) displays this message. When I check the dipstick, the oil level is midway between the min/max marks, even if the caR has sat overnight in the garage (level surface). I suspect the oil level sensor might be going bad. What are your thoughts?

For those that have replaced your oil level sensor yourself, any help, suggestions, pics, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would guess/assume the sensor is located within the oil pan and would require me to drop the oil pan.
The R has an oil level sensor and an oil quality sensor. If your oil picks up a lot of contaminants then the quality sensor will set the check oil light.

How many miles do you have on your current oil?

See page 21 of this brochure (actually page 7 of the .pdf)

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/2004r/R5-Engines.pdf

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
It could be because of oil quality and possibly faulty sensor but I am leaning towards low oil quality.
Probably a 7500 mile oil change interval follower......non synthetic of course.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had that happen yesterday, first time in 5 years... When I pulled over and checked it was one quart short, reading was right below the min marker... I had my oil changed 2 weeks ago, all I can think of is they forgot a quart? I did not see any signs of a leak, will have to monitor it just to be safe this week.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Castrol Syntec oil and it has been 6200 miles since I changed the oil.

Do low oil level and low oil quality give the same fault or message?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Is the R really really hard on oil or something? I got this message today, oil level was on the lowest X on the dipstick, but within the acceptable range. Put it up to the middle of the range, message still came on. It's only been 4k miles since I put in GC...I'd hate to spend another $60 or so on oil if this is just a faulty sensor. 4k miles seems awfully short for a synthetic to be heavily contaminated.

To the OC, did changing your oil make the message go away?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Put it up to the middle of the range, message still came on.
Not sure if you know but even after adding oil the low oil indicator will usually stay on for a few miles or so. It should go off by itself and not come on after that unless you trip the low oil level or low oil quality level.

Now it if it's staying on for miles and miles or comes on every day then something is wrong.

FYI, I wish I only had to add in oil every 4k miles...I have to add in a quart of oil every 800 miles. I plan on having it checked out in a month or so to find out what is wrong.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Not sure if you know but even after adding oil the low oil indicator will usually stay on for a few miles or so. It should go off by itself and not come on after that unless you trip the low oil level or low oil quality level.

Now it if it's staying on for miles and miles or comes on every day then something is wrong.

FYI, I wish I only had to add in oil every 4k miles...I have to add in a quart of oil every 800 miles. I plan on having it checked out in a month or so to find out what is wrong.
Got it, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I thought it was a little soon for the oil to be fouled.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I've done 6000-6500 miles between changes on Mobil 1, no issues, and I work the engine pretty hard. Usually I do 5000.

I got that message once, but it was actually just low, right at the min mark and went away when I added a half quart or so.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have Castrol Syntec oil and it has been 6200 miles since I changed the oil.

Do low oil level and low oil quality give the same fault or message?
1200 miles too far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got that when i cleaned the underside of the engine with brake cleaner. I messed up the level sensor, just another step back for Rob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts