SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello swedespeed community:

Glad to be joining the Volvo family with my first Volvo vehicle. After a few months of owning the car I'm reading fairly low MPG compared to the quoted rating. Here are my vehicle details:

2021 Volvo V60 CC
Mileage: 1,500
MPG (average): 17.4

I live in Los Angeles and so have mostly stop and go driving, however, this still seems low compared to the quoted 24 mpg for city.

I tried scheduling a service with my local Volvo dealership but they refused me stating that this is the expected MPG.

My last vehicle was a 1989 Toyota Hilux so I'm not use to comparing actual mpg to base ratings. Is this the world we are living in when buying new cars today?

Thanks!
Miles

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd say between the engine breaking in (minimal impact) and your driving habits (big impact), this isn't really out of range if the driving really is all stop and go. My first tank, which was mixed use and not much stop and go, was 25mpg on a FWD V60.

Note also that 25 mpg is mixed use for the V60CC; "city driving" is 22mpg.

Having the auto start/stop turned to "on" can certainly help. Bottom line though, I doubt anything is wrong with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 V60 R-Design
44 Posts
My old V90CC T6 was avg 22mpg and now my V60 T5 is getting 31mpg. I’d say 70% highway and 30% city.

Reactions: milecito

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
There are too many variables for us to do anything for someone who brings in a brand new car with this complaint. There isn't anything wrong with the car. Stop and go city traffic with the AC running is not going to give you high MPG.

If there was something wrong with the car you'd have a warning light.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hello swedespeed community:

Glad to be joining the Volvo family with my first Volvo vehicle. After a few months of owning the car I'm reading fairly low MPG compared to the quoted rating. Here are my vehicle details:

2021 Volvo V60 CC
Mileage: 1,500
MPG (average): 17.4

I live in Los Angeles and so have mostly stop and go driving, however, this still seems low compared to the quoted 24 mpg for city.

I tried scheduling a service with my local Volvo dealership but they refused me stating that this is the expected MPG.

My last vehicle was a 1989 Toyota Hilux so I'm not use to comparing actual mpg to base ratings. Is this the world we are living in when buying new cars today?

Thanks!
Miles
This is totally normal with your described driving. Remember, it's a small 4 cylinder pushing a 4,000+ pound vehicle. Stopping, slowing down, and accelerating will yield your MPG. Try open highway driving (if there's such thing in California haha). Pending wind, you'll have no problem getting near 30mpg.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I believe there's a break-in period, and if you are a city driver, you will definitely get less mileage per gallon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey milecito, I am in the SF Bay Area with a SPA XC60. From the start it was slightly better than my 4-cylinder Acura TSX sedan, With the Volvo app and dash reporting I see about 8mpg average variations, I know I did not buy my XC60 T6.
But in the last 1.5 yrs of the Covid lockdown and not doing my daily commute I see about a 0.7 MPG decrease.
I am at the ultimate Start and Stop poster child, since I travel short trips...Trader Joes, Safeway, trailhead.
On a long 300 mile trip the MPG changes...but it is just number. I am still happy to be able to sprint off the stop light line when near a lane change/onramp.
I didn't buy my T6 for ultimate fuel economy. That said do enjoy switching to ECO mode and coasting down long mountain passes or local steep hills - like a video game.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say between the engine breaking in (minimal impact) and your driving habits (big impact), this isn't really out of range if the driving really is all stop and go. My first tank, which was mixed use and not much stop and go, was 25mpg on a FWD V60.

Note also that 25 mpg is mixed use for the V60CC; "city driving" is 22mpg.

Having the auto start/stop turned to "on" can certainly help. Bottom line though, I doubt anything is wrong with the vehicle.
Thanks, Jack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old V90CC T6 was avg 22mpg and now my V60 T5 is getting 31mpg. I’d say 70% highway and 30% city.
Thanks, everyone. I'll try ECO mode and get a solid highway road trip under my belt and report back what I see.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I'll try ECO mode and get a solid highway road trip under my belt and report back what I see.
Just as a point of reference to you, I checked the last few local trips I made in typical city driving without any highway mileage and my MPG was ranging from 14.8 to 18 (all in Comfort mode). So I would say your result isn't abnormal. ECO seems to yield 1-2 mpg higher based on one or two trips I used it for recently.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your MPGs sounds about right for LA. In my experience, the City MPG rating is far higher than the real MPGs you'd get stop-and-go in a proper city. I've only been able to match the EPA City rating in suburbs. When I lived in LA and had a 20-mile one-way commute that was largely stop-and-go, I would get about 20-21MPG in a car that's rated at 26MPG in the city. The 2-hour 10-405-101 commute was brutal, and that was the reverse commute!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just as a point of reference to you, I checked the last few local trips I made in typical city driving without any highway mileage and my MPG was ranging from 14.8 to 18 (all in Comfort mode). So I would say your result isn't abnormal. ECO seems to yield 1-2 mpg higher based on one or two trips I used it for recently.
There are too many variables for us to do anything for someone who brings in a brand new car with this complaint. There isn't anything wrong with the car. Stop and go city traffic with the AC running is not going to give you high MPG.

If there was something wrong with the car you'd have a warning light.
Thanks, Tech. This is spot on what my local Volvo dealer service center told me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On that note, anyone notice much of a difference between 91 and 93 gas? I don't really understand around here sometimes its just 5 cents a gallon more, other times its like 20 cents more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is totally normal with your described driving. Remember, it's a small 4 cylinder pushing a 4,000+ pound vehicle. Stopping, slowing down, and accelerating will yield your MPG. Try open highway driving (if there's such thing in California haha). Pending wind, you'll have no problem getting near 30mpg.

We just took a long highway trip in our V60 CC - averaged over 32 mpg in eco mode.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
We just took a long highway trip in our V60 CC - averaged over 32 mpg in eco mode.
That's awesome! Unless you have the air suspension, I'm not sure Eco mode does much for highway driving based on my experience with our XC90's. I still seem to yield the best MPG in comfort mode.

·
Registered
190 Posts
31.7 mpg on a highway yesterday. I never had a notable break in period for fuel economy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On that note, anyone notice much of a difference between 91 and 93 gas? I don't really understand around here sometimes its just 5 cents a gallon more, other times its like 20 cents more.
In Europe we have a choice of 95 and 98...

91 or 93 Octanes? never seen it being sold in Portugal... but I never go for 98, which at the moment costs an extortionate € 1.80/L (thats $2.10/L or ~ $8/gallon)... mind you, the 95 octane is just some € 0.20 less...

How I wish I could do 100 kms between charges... at the pace the eletrification in cars is moving I can see myself buying a fully electric in 3, 4 years.

·
Registered
406 Posts
In Europe we have a choice of 95 and 98...

91 or 93 Octanes? never seen it being sold in Portugal... but I never go for 98, which at the moment costs an extortionate € 1.80/L (thats $2.10/L or ~ $8/gallon)... mind you, the 95 octane is just some € 0.20 less...

How I wish I could do 100 kms between charges... at the pace the eletrification in cars is moving I can see myself buying a fully electric in 3, 4 years.
I believe the rest of the world uses RON whereas the US uses AKI to measure octane. 95 RON is roughly 91 AKI octane and 98 RON is roughly 93 AKI octane.

Reactions: Voytech
1 - 20 of 23 Posts