SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for past few years i had to live with my friends making fun of the low light output of the LED's located by overhead sunroof control knob. I took the whole thing off with one thing on my mind: to replace them with a set of brighter more powerful led's.
After taking of the light caps and than poping out the black long cover that covers the led's, it was clear that the problem is not with led's it self but the 1mm holes in the plastic which are blocking most of the light. I widened the holes by "drilling them out with T-15 torx bit screwdriver than after trying it out i went back and redrilled it with T-20 tor bit ( i was lazy to get my drill).
Final result: perfect visible light output coming from LED's. Not too weak not too bright. :eek:

If someone likes more output they can widen it little more but be careful not to overdo it because its irevrsible process :beer:

I used my phone as a camera so this is the best i could do to show the light output after widening.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Snap! If only we could change the color easily.

Great little find!
they can be easily changed, these types of LED's are easy to replace, all you need is a very precise small soldering iron and magnifying glass and someone with experience in working with sensitive circuits.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Well... yeah. I have the tools and experience, but lack the confidence with this project. I'm more handy with screwing in light bulbs ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No i do not but its easy to take it out. If you want more output out of those leds just widen the holes more and i think you will get even too much light out of them, they are really bright

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you tried turning off all lights in the garage and just look at the interior from the outside windows? You can see the LEDs shine on the centre console. It is very pretty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts