SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low hum at low speeds, it stops when I apply the brakes. The sound also varies when I turn. It sounds like something is rubbing. Anyone know what it could be? Where to check first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Where does it sound like the rubbing is coming from? Check your rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wear hearing aids so its hard for me to decipher where sound is coming from... But It sounds like the drivers side front area.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Maybe you could take video of it and post it? That might help people decipher it.

I don't think wheel bearings should be going bad in a year.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Not my bearings, my pads and rotors were replaced.
Oh, duh...I read the two posts together and mixed them up. Then yeah, like Stealthy said, that could be a culprit. How many miles is the R at and when were they last done?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dust shield drag can behave like you describe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, duh...I read the two posts together and mixed them up. Then yeah, like Stealthy said, that could be a culprit. How many miles is the R at and when were they last done?
I am just shy of 109k and it was probably done about 2 years ago so at most maybe 20-25k miles?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
What is this and where can I find it to check it out?

Thanks
The round metal shield behind the brake rotor. It shouldn't be touching the rotor.

Does the hum increase or decrease when turning at a constant speed? If so that's a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm, I'm not sure, I will have to pay attention and get back yo you. I am leaning towards it decreasing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The round metal shield behind the brake rotor. It shouldn't be touching the rotor.

Does the hum increase or decrease when turning at a constant speed? If so that's a wheel bearing.
The hum decreases at a constant speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same issue with my R, my issue was my brakes were worn, the rotor had a lip and the pad would rub on it causing a very irritating humming noise. Replaced pads and rotors and the noise went away.

A quick check to test your wheel bearing would be to jack up the wheel that is making the noise. and grab the top and bottom of the tire with both hands and try to wiggle it. If you feel slight play or hear a knocking noise you probably have a bad wheel bearing. Wheel bearing noises tend to get worse with speed so the faster you go the worse the noise.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same issue with my R, my issue was my brakes were worn, the rotor had a lip and the pad would rub on it causing a very irritating humming noise. Replaced pads and rotors and the noise went away.

A quick check to test your wheel bearing would be to jack up the wheel that is making the noise. and grab the top and bottom of the tire with both hands and try to wiggle it. If you feel slight play or hear a knocking noise you probably have a bad wheel bearing. Wheel bearing noises tend to get worse with speed so the faster you go the worse the noise.
Super helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: Its in the shop now. He said it was my front drivers side wheel hub assembly, he said that it is not just a wheel bearing they replace but the whole thing? Then about 2 hours of work for a total of $495 with a discount..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts