SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving home last evening, I observed the low coolant warning (text) on the instrument panel when coming to a reasonably abrupt stop at a stop sign. The warning vanished after about two seconds. I was able to replicate the experience a few more times by intentionally coming to abrupt stops. Again, the warning would disappear after about two seconds.

I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank as soon as I got home (i.e., engine warm) and the level was between min and max. I checked it again this a.m. (i.e., engine cold) and the level was about 1/4" below the min marker. Is that deficiency enough to trigger the warning, or is something else going on?

25K miles on vehicle.

·
Registered
775 Posts
While driving home last evening, I observed the low coolant warning (text) on the instrument panel when coming to a reasonably abrupt stop at a stop sign. The warning vanished after about two seconds. I was able to replicate the experience a few more times by intentionally coming to abrupt stops. Again, the warning would disappear after about two seconds.

I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank as soon as I got home (i.e., engine warm) and the level was between min and max. I checked it again this a.m. (i.e., engine cold) and the level was about 1/4" below the min marker. Is that deficiency enough to trigger the warning, or is something else going on?

25K miles on vehicle.
I've had the same happen. Took it to dealer for something unrelated and had them check for leaks and head gasket. Said everything was normal and the service manual does say coolant level dropping over time is normal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not so concerned about the minimal coolant depletion, but rather what it was that triggered the warning.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not so concerned about the minimal coolant depletion, but rather what it was that triggered the warning.
The cold level is when the coolant should be checked. As you said, the level was low when cold. So, clearly the vehicle is low on coolant, thus why the warning was triggered..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
I’ve gotten the same message without any leaks. Topped it off twice with a cup of distilled water and it disappeared for six months. The last time I went ahead and bought some Volvo coolant to keep on hand. Again, by my eyes there are no leaks and has been no message for over six months.

·
Registered
10 Posts

25K miles on vehicle.
Had the same issue. Was a quick fix by replacing the screw-in cap for the coolant reservoir tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts