SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had this message come up today.went right up to service at big dee volvo in white plains.no leaks found and and had my 7500 service done at 6100 miles.nothing else. in and out the door in about 1/2 hour. a great job. also came awy with the "R" black and white banner hanging in the service reception area to add to my other one. anyone have coolant issues like this?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: low coolant-please stop safely (drpie)

Keep a close eye on your thermostat -- just in case.

Sometimes techs forget to top off the coolant during the PDI . . . it's possible your car got overlooked, which would explain why you're seeing that message.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: low coolant-please stop safely (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
Keep a close eye on your thermostat -- just in case.

You want him to look inside the cooling system? Perhaps you meant temperature gauge?

Seriously though, I had this message come up once. When I checked the overflow reservoir, the level was a hair below the minimum mark. I figured that the sensor was very finicky so I topped it off slightly and the light went away.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: low coolant-please stop safely (needsdecaf)

Not really. The 06's have a software issue where they just start recognizing the signal from the engine coolant temperature sensor as being extremely hot, and that sends the car into limp-home mode.

The message he saw was a simple indication of low coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: low coolant-please stop safely (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »
You want him to look inside the cooling system? Perhaps you meant temperature gauge?

Whoops! Long day yesterday.

Keep an eye on the coolant level, as well as the temperature guage.

·
Registered
47 Posts

just a heads up, if the coolant reservoir is now full (@ hot engine) and this occurs again there is a problem. (scare on) several R's have had engine's replaced due to mysterious coolant loss (scare off).

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had coolant issues. I got the low coolant light too... looked around and noticed there were coolant "splash" all around the coolant tank. When the car cooled, I filled up with distilled water (only bout a cup or so) inspected the cap and o-ring and put it back. Next couple of days I noticed that the splash was still happening around the coolant tank. My suspicion was the tank itself. I called Rusnak Volvo, made an appointment and MADE sure they had a tank in stock. They promised me they would get right on the car etc etc. So I pull up, the service advisor comes over and I show him the issue. Hmmm is his thought, he calls over a tech (mind you the car was at operating temp, I had just arrived) who proceeds to open the tank
Coolant went everywhere, I was more than mad. Then the tech says the coolant spray was from him loosening the cap... The SA then says "Oh we will need the car at least for the day, let me get you a rental". I said no thanks, I'll see ya later.

I then replaced the hose clamp on the overflow tube to the tank, the one on top thinking maybe that was the source. No luck. I then picked up a new coolant tank cap at a different dealer. When the car cooled, I swapped caps and guess what? The original cap (my car has 2500 miles) was totally cracked everywhere. Before this point it looked OK but there must have been cracks I could not see. Anyway, no more splash.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

The R seems to be very sensitive to fluid levels. I once had a "oil level low" message" and when I let the engine cool and checked, it was still within parameters [according to the dipstick] but I added alittle and all was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts