SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum...made the account for this because I thought some of you might be able to help with this :)

I'm looking for some low-budget mods for my S60. The most I could do is probably $1000, maybe a bit over if it's worth it. I don't need anything crazy, not turning this into a dragstrip sleeper or anything, just something to make driving a bit more fun. Doesn't even have to be all performance, drivability upgrades are fine by me, like new lights or something. The only limitation I have is exhaust mods...I'm fine with a new muffler or something of the sort, but it has to be legal in MA and I don't want to attract unnecessary attention from police/parents/etc. A catted downpipe and/or ECU tune are probably the first things on my list, but you guys probably know better than me. Ideally I would like the mods to not hurt fuel economy too much (if they do). Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Depends really on what you're looking for.

Catted down pipe + tune will take all your money and possibly give the most performance.

Sport springs & suspension bits can take all your money and improve handling and appearance.

Window tint and aux driving lights would be another cosmetic route.

Primarily, you want to make sure basic maintenance is done, called a stage 0, make sure the car is running right and healthy before you do anything extra. That'll help the investment last, and make sure any mods are beneficial.

My first volvo was a non turbo fwd, so I lowered it, tinted the windows, lowering springs, upgraded to better OEM wheels, cat back exhaust, stereo, lights etc. It made it a more enjoyable car even though not much more power could be made, but it was fun and reliable.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I’m going to echo spiked60.

1000 is best spent on bringing the car to as good a state as you can first, plugs, wires/coils, injectors, air filter etc. fluid checks. as performance parts/tunes are going to add more stress on the current set up. You’ll quickly see how fast you can go down the proverbial rabbit hole when it comes to Performance. It’s a “ one thing leads to another “ type of thing.

After things are tidied up....biggest and easiest bang for the buck is going to be a good tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts