SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have been having the same problem as everyone else with what seems to be early s60R's. My car is a GT so keep that in mind. Under full throttle in third gear it would hit 10 maybe 11 psi and immediately back down to 9psi. Its just like in 1st and 2nd gear when tq limiting. I haven't looked into fixing it to much being that it hot in Texas plus the car drives so whatever.

So in the last 2 days i changed front control arm (helped tremendously with steering feel being the bushing were pretty bad at 80k miles), flushed the ATF, and changed the AG oil. So i get the car back together but don't drive it until this morning.

While flushing the ATF i noticed that the TCV (stock) had come off its mount and was laying on the transmission. when i put it back together i made sure to reattach it to the airbox.

When i drove the car this morning i get on the hiway. Im in 3rd gear, get onto it getting on the hiway and low and behold it peaks 16psi then drops to about 11psi. HAHA i have no idea why im making more after changing ATF, angle gear fluid and control arms. Maybe the R is saying thank you. :D

In all seriousness, i was thinking, maybe the TCV rattling around could have made it not work properly or possibly the transmission is not slipping with new fluid. The fluid was dark but not black. The transmission never showed signs of slip of shifting bad. I didnt unplug the battery or anything like that. I have no idea.. Do you guys have any ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Id like to know too. Its like 116* here, it only does like 9-11psi in the extreme heat, but at night it does 15, but when its cold it does 22psi. wtf. i think my TCV is going bad too and I have an IPD one. I've checked over and over for boost leaks.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Id like to know too. Its like 116* here, it only does like 9-11psi in the extreme heat, but at night it does 15, but when its cold it does 22psi. wtf. i think my TCV is going bad too and I have an IPD one. I've checked over and over for boost leaks.
No that's your ECU adjusting for high intake temps. Since you don't have 93 and you have 91octane in CA, the detonation risk is higher, so it limits how much boost you get.

·
Registered
103 Posts
damn Nazi ecu.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Is it the first generation of IPD HD-TCV? If so, I would recommend replacing it. They now sell a different version.

Here are some comments from IPD:

Hey there everyone! I'm going to chime in here really quick. First off just want to say thank you for the thread. We initially saw that we were having issues with the current valve at higher duty cycles.

Our Stage III car was the first to show us this issue when tuning. We've been doing extensive tests the past few weeks. We are working on gathering facts regarding how long the TCV will last when running those higher boost levels for extended amounts of time. We do know that we need a valve that will handle higher duty cycles, especially since R's can run higher boost levels.

We've had a few issues with the TCV on R models in the past running our tunes. We've had fantastic results with our TCV on GLT and stock models etc. We want to be thorough when doing testing to see about changing the valve or building a new one. We are aware of this thread. We've been working with a few customers at this time to resolve any "erratic" boost issues.

We'll keep you posted with our findings and what direction we'll be going in the near future. We are still in the process of testing to ensure we have a valve that will cater to the whole market. We currently have valve in house that we've been testing on our own Stage III car, on a S60R with a tune, along with one that is in MTE's hands testing while creating tunes.
If you have further questions, you can contact myself or Ken Pruett direct.

[email protected]
[email protected]

We will be away this week for SEMA.

Thanks everyone for the great posts

From this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Doesn-t-Appear-to-Support-Higher-Boost/page2

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I make sure my TCV is mounted in a way that it gets air blown on it from the radiator fan, keeping it's temperature cooler and possibly allowing it to function better/longer.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
No that's your ECU adjusting for high intake temps. Since you don't have 93 and you have 91octane in CA, the detonation risk is higher, so it limits how much boost you get.
Exactly. With high intake temps, the ECU will pull boost and timing to prevent or eliminate detonation.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Exactly. With high intake temps, the ECU will pull boost and timing to prevent or eliminate detonation.
Wait really? I didn't know that. So this summer when I was searching for why I was only boosting to 10psi- it could be attributed to the hotterthanthedevilsdick weather?!

Always learning new stuff on SS.

In that case: crossing fingers boost increases after FMIC install.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Wait really? I didn't know that. So this summer when I was searching for why I was only boosting to 10psi- it could be attributed to the hotterthanthedevilsdick weather?!

Always learning new stuff on SS.

In that case: crossing fingers boost increases after FMIC install.
The ECU will pull timing, out of 3 Volvo's I've worked on over the course of my few years of being active (2.4T, 2.5T, R) not a single one has lost any boost as temperature rises, in fact the 2.4T and 2.5T engines had raised boost pressure in the summer time compared to the winter time (both on stock intercoolers), stock the 2.4T engine would see as high as 9psi in the summer and 7.5-8psi in the winter, same with the 2.5T, but this was exaggerated when the 2.5T was tuned via RICA (lots and lots of supporting mods, not just the tune), that engine would see 16psi in the summer and roughly 14psi in the winter (STL summers are 95% humidity and 95 degrees for 2-3 months straight, winters are around 30 degrees).

Out of three different but similar ME7 Volvo's I have owned I have never seen boost lost during the summer months, if anything boost was slightly raised. If anyone has evidence or personal experience to refute that please post it up. Most 9-11psi issues can be contributed to faulty sensors, boost leaks, bad exhaust manifold gaskets, cracked turbine housings, and piss poor fuel.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mine held full boost during the summer temps for the first 3 years, this summer I had one of your contributing factors listed above knock the boost down, now fixed and back to normal boost, even with 100 degree days.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Mine held full boost during the summer temps for the first 3 years, this summer I had one of your contributing factors listed above knock the boost down, now fixed and back to normal boost, even with 100 degree days.
I think it also depends on the grade of gasoline you get... I know many people argue this, but I notice a huge difference between 91 octane and 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have never been fortunate to get the 93, but I've always lived above 3500 ft, with two of my three campaigns done over 4500 ft elevation. I would love to drop down to sea-level and cruise with some 93 octane, probably feel like a completely different car if a mile-high elevation drops almost a second off the 1320' times.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are your differences in the same location? If 93 for you is 91 to me, than 91 in the same place for you is like 89 to me, which would certainly cause the car to adjust some parameters?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Are your differences in the same location? If 93 for you is 91 to me, than 91 in the same place for you is like 89 to me, which would certainly cause the car to adjust some parameters?
When I first got my R back in february I noticed I was only boosting to 10psi, after 3 tanks of 93 octane I was hitting the full 15psi, I can only assume that the used dealer I bought it from had been running 87 octane in it to save a few bucks. Nothing else really explains the sudden rise of boost pressure, and thus performance.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
When I first got my R back in february I noticed I was only boosting to 10psi, after 3 tanks of 93 octane I was hitting the full 15psi, I can only assume that the used dealer I bought it from had been running 87 octane in it to save a few bucks. Nothing else really explains the sudden rise of boost pressure, and thus performance.
Put some 100 octane, reset the ECU and see how amazing the R feels.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts