SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I departed for work this morning at 5 am, I came to a very strange realization...I think the last time I drove this car at night was bringing it home from Chicago in April. Lengthy summertime daylight hours in Minnesota, and life with a two-year-old are contributing factors. What struck me right away is the range on the low beams is poor...like dangerously poor. So much so, I wondered if there were motor issues, but then I saw this review of the V60 CC:

Another odd shortcoming: the headlights. We found their low-beam illumination distance too short for a driver to react to sudden changes in road conditions. You could drive with the high beams on all the time, but that would mean blinding oncoming drivers. We gave the V60 CC’s headlights our lowest rating.

Any others notice this with factory alignment? I guess I will tweak them myself assuming hex adjustments for up/down and left/right.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
If the low Beams are properly adjusted, their illumination Distance is fine, on a P or a CC, or any other V60.
High Beam won't blind any upcoming drivers, because of the AHBC II system, "cutting" other cars out of the high Beam http://youtu.be/3N9EmhNN5TA
Agreed the low beams are more than adequate, you just need to adjust them up slightly. It does have to be the correct angle, even low beams will annoy oncoming drivers. There should be a specification from Volvo that gives a cutoff height on a wall at a certain parked distance away.

In the US, we haven't implemented AHBC II because it hasn't been approved by .gov but the auto dimming feature works perfectly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe these are illegal in the U.S.

Can anyone confirm?
Yes. Our X5 has LED headlights, yet the anti-dazzle capability of BMW's high-beams are deactivated for the US market. That said, some simple coding can resurrect it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. My lights are definitely not adequate, so I'll make a few tweaks and take it from there. I might start with the dealer first just to ensure everything is "normal" before making adjustments.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My P* is still so new I haven't driven it at night yet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts