SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to changed the low beam bulbs on a '07 S60 2.5. Installed Silverstars by it melted the connector on the driver's side. Passenger side still works for now.

Replacement low beam connectors in any auto parts store have 2 wires but the OEM connector has 3 wires.

How exactly do I connect a new 2 wire connector to the 3 wires attached to the wire harness. Obviously, I don't want to buy a new harness, nor buy a new headlight assembly NOR go to the dealer.

Big "Thanks" to anyone who can provide a detailed description.

·
Registered
16,902 Posts

$130 for replacement headlight ....

That or buy HID bulbs and use the wire to the ballast as your connector.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Or junkyard a headlight harness if your housing is in good shape

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had to changed the low beam bulbs on a '07 S60 2.5. Installed Silverstars by it melted the connector on the driver's side. Passenger side still works for now.

Replacement low beam connectors in any auto parts store have 2 wires but the OEM connector has 3 wires.

How exactly do I connect a new 2 wire connector to the 3 wires attached to the wire harness. Obviously, I don't want to buy a new harness, nor buy a new headlight assembly NOR go to the dealer.

Big "Thanks" to anyone who can provide a detailed description.
Have you gotten this fixed yet? Common problem, Volvo now sells the repair connector as well.
Repair is simple, just pay attention to which low beam connector terminal has two wires and which only has one. The connector is shape coded to only go on the bulb one way. Look at your new repair pigtail and make sure when they go back into their proper position.
Cut the two wires off the terminal, strip the ends, twist them together and crimp into a Blue solderless butt connector. Strip and put one wire from the new pigtail into the other end of connector and crimp. If the wire is too small for a good fit, strip more insulation and double the wire back on itself. You will want to use self sealing butt connectors or at minimum put shrink tubing over them when done.
Second wire is now the easy one. Just strip and crimp the two wires together with a Red butt splice.
Plug into your new bulb and all should be good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you gotten this fixed yet? Common problem, Volvo now sells the repair connector as well.
Repair is simple, just pay attention to which low beam connector terminal has two wires and which only has one. The connector is shape coded to only go on the bulb one way. Look at your new repair pigtail and make sure when they go back into their proper position.
Cut the two wires off the terminal, strip the ends, twist them together and crimp into a Blue solderless butt connector. Strip and put one wire from the new pigtail into the other end of connector and crimp. If the wire is too small for a good fit, strip more insulation and double the wire back on itself. You will want to use self sealing butt connectors or at minimum put shrink tubing over them when done.
Second wire is now the easy one. Just strip and crimp the two wires together with a Red butt splice.
Plug into your new bulb and all should be good.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts