SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our front right low beam light went out today... Got the message on the dash. However, when we first turn the car on it goes on for a second then goes off so I am guessing it is not the bulb... Thoughts?

Can a failing bulb still sometimes light? ie. It goes out but then comes back on? Or is it more like a regular light bulb that once it burns out it is gone!

2006 XC70 - Standard headlamps I believe... Is this more common on the passenger side? or both? Part is not too pricy - what about labor for replacing a connector. Is it fairly easy for them to access? I am having my car go in tomorrow for a Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement. I will have them address this at the same time.

ALSO: I had a similar message appear last week about my right rear tail light. Light was out. Later that day message was gone and light has been on ever since - same issue? You think?

Can anyone shed some light on these weird light issues?
THANKS!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Welcome, and the first thing I would do is check all the bulbs, make sure the contacts are clean (go ahead and clean all of them).

Chances are that a few bulbs are on their way out, filaments are weak. I would go ahead and pick up a few 1157a's and H7s and replace those, two at a time don’t skimp and just do one. The other side WILL go out within a week or two so save yourself the hassle.

As for what brand of bulbs to get? You can go to the dealer $20-30 for H7's and $5-10 for misc bulbs, Walmart is less expensive offering GE and Sylvania. Make sure not to touch the glass when installing.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's pretty common for the female end of the connector to open enough with age so that it does not provide a very good connection. If you pinch the connector (with pliers) to tighten it, it can help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts