SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the low beam bulb failure message on my wife's '07 XC90 3.2. It's got the active bi-xenon headlight and the driver side low beam (the xenon one) was flickering. Looking at the owner's manual it didn't seem too hard to change the bulb myself. The dealer asked for $180 - 200 for the bulb and $65 for the labor to install the bulb. I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative at rockauto.com.

How hard is it to change the xenon bulb and is there anything special I need to do since it's the active headlight, the one with the swiveling headlight? The owner's manual specifically warn to go to Volvo service center to change active bi-xenon light bulb. Also, is there any alternative for Volvo parts? I usually use rockauto.com.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually just changed mine. $99 from Advance Auto. Swapping is an easy day. Remove lamp assembly, remove rubber back cover, then remove bulb. Put it all back together and you are set to go. As with any bulb do not put your fingers on it. Oils on your fingers could lead to early bulb failure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
if it is flickering it may not be the bulb. Certain model years of the XC90 had contact problems with the bulb seat; mine had this problem. Just take the bulb carrier out and clean the contacts with a abrasive eraser (like the two colored ones you find at office supply stores)

Did that 20k miles ago, haven't needed a new bulb or had any problems since.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it is flickering it may not be the bulb. Certain model years of the XC90 had contact problems with the bulb seat; mine had this problem. Just take the bulb carrier out and clean the contacts with a abrasive eraser (like the two colored ones you find at office supply stores)

Did that 20k miles ago, haven't needed a new bulb or had any problems since.
Pardon the stupid question, where is the bulb carrier? Is it the socket that connect the back of the bulb?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No. The bulb is directly attached to the igniter (big silver box) it has contact points on the headlamp assembly. That would be what you would be looking to attempt to clean up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the headlight out and noticed that the low beam bulb was an Osram 66146 D1S 35W and it had Hg written on the back so does it mean that it's a halogen low beam bulb and not xenon? jmduke3, I saw the igniter (the silver box) so in order to change the bulb how do I take that igniter (silver box) off? Somehow my owner manual doesn't show this box under the portion where it talks about changing halogen low beam bulb.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
D1s means that the igniter is part of bulb. So you will the complet assembly. You an get it for cheap on ebay and it will work just fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I need help. So I bought and received the replacement Osram bulb. Problem is I couldn't figure out how to take the old bulb along with its integrated igniter off. Anybody have any solutions/experiences with this? Thanks all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guys, I need help. So I bought and received the replacement Osram bulb. Problem is I couldn't figure out how to take the old bulb along with its integrated igniter off. Anybody have any solutions/experiences with this? Thanks all.
Twist bulb/igniter out of back of assembly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts