SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Battery change is not difficult. The weather stripping and cowl cover come off. Then it is like most any other car. On the XC60 and S80 there is 2” of space.

https://youtu.be/PUssKTprKUM

·
Registered
120 Posts
...My stop/start has been disabled as long as I've had the car. However I consider this a feature not a bug, which is why I never made a point of it with the dealer. But! Might that be a magic phrase? Because the car is still under factory warranty and that's a malfunction. Hmm.
I had a similar issue on my 2016 V60, the battery warning would frequently show up if I sat in the car for more than 30seconds and the stop/start would only work after long road trips (>100 miles) and then only for a day or so at most. A trickle charger fixed it temporarily but it again wouldn't last more than a day or so. My commute is about 17miles each way, most highway and easily twice that usage on weekends, so its not for lack of charging opportunities.
I had my 30k service recently and mentioned the battery warnings and stop/start issues, they did a check and found a faulty battery which was replaced under warranty. From what I understand there are 2 batteries in the car, one is a standard battery under the drivers side cowl and there's a second smaller one on the passenger side that provides extra power for the stop/start system but they're tied together such that both need to be in good shape to pass the battery monitor check. It may be just the second one that isn't good, which disables the stop/start but it also provides a low battery issue that prevents the Sensus staying alive even though the car is starting just fine (which I believe is using the main battery).
It sounds like you don't really want the stop/start system to function but it might be the 'magic phrase'? In a 2016 you're most likely still under warranty so it should be covered.
Be careful what you wish for though... I now have a fully 'working' system that I frequently have to turn off! :)

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Has anyone used one of these? As mentioned upthread my dealer won't take action though the car is still under warranty.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/coleman-2-watt-12-volt-solar-battery-maintainer-58012/10644460-p

My question is because the 12v outlet is not functional when the car is turned off. Will it charge?
I would get a second or third opinion on your issue while it's under warranty if the first dealer refuses to do anything. Your car is not working as intended with the "low battery" warning and start/stop not working, even though it seems you'd rather the latter stay not working, lol. A "low battery" message is not normal if that's what the first dealer is telling you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I would get a second or third opinion on your issue while it's under warranty if the first dealer refuses to do anything. Your car is not working as intended with the "low battery" warning and start/stop not working, even though it seems you'd rather the latter stay not working, lol. A "low battery" message is not normal if that's what the first dealer is telling you.
Thanks; unfortunately there's only one dealer near me. I've asked him repeatedly and he insists that this is normal behavior. So no help there.

The car has started stranding me now, which is really annoying. It simply won't start, and it's impossible to unlock and open the doors, etc. (The driver's door was already unlocked.) This on the morning after a day I had driven the car extensively. Fortunately I gained access to a charge boost so I could close the sunroof (as rain was threatening). And fortunately there's Uber so you can still get where you need to go.

If I pay out of pocket for a new battery, is there any reason to believe it will solve the issues? (Since the dealer and warranty aren't going to cover anything.)
Is there a number to call to bring Volvo Corporate in on this matter? Or better yet an email? My warranty is going to run out soon, not that it matters.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
If the battery has ever been completely drained like this, its days are numbered anyways. So I'd do following:

- Use a charger or have a shop fully charge the battery for a day. Have it tested if any failed cells. If yes, it is time to replace it. If not, maybe battery is still usable, try find someone or go to dealer to reset BMS.

- Buy a USB charger with voltage reading. It is handy to show early voltage drop, and you can trickle charge it at home to avoid problem on road.

- If you still see problem or voltage drop, ask dealer to check if any excessive drain when car is off. If it is out of warranty by then, find a shop to check.

- Looking for a shop nearby that can replace battery and have VIDA access to reset the BMS. It will be more handy than going to a dealer faraway.

- If you will keep the car for some more years, consider getting extended warranty from Steingold Volvo. This helps in case there is issue could be covered in future.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks; unfortunately there's only one dealer near me. I've asked him repeatedly and he insists that this is normal behavior. So no help there.

The car has started stranding me now, which is really annoying. It simply won't start, and it's impossible to unlock and open the doors, etc. (The driver's door was already unlocked.) This on the morning after a day I had driven the car extensively. Fortunately I gained access to a charge boost so I could close the sunroof (as rain was threatening). And fortunately there's Uber so you can still get where you need to go.

If I pay out of pocket for a new battery, is there any reason to believe it will solve the issues? (Since the dealer and warranty aren't going to cover anything.)
Is there a number to call to bring Volvo Corporate in on this matter? Or better yet an email? My warranty is going to run out soon, not that it matters.
I have read this whole thread and this is clearly bulls***t. Carrying voltage meters, battery chargers etc. The car is supposed to start under normal conditions- every time.
Leaving people stranded and Volvo and it's dealers not providing any help with clear answers. This doesn't normally happen with other cars (generally speaking) at least not on a consistent basis. There is clearly something wrong here and Volvo is not doing anything to alleviate it. I pay over 40k for a car I expect it to start consistently at least within 3 years (warranty period) and if not THEN FIX IT. BMS resets, messages on dash- all garbage. Fix the damn car! (Although none of this happened to me -it just my blood boil). Nice ads, nice marketing friendly faces- but the car doesn't start- can't play the radio- got run into a store- come on - gimme a break!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The extended warranties I've had in the past did not cover items like batteries. Some didn't even cover the charging system. I had a 'comprehensive' extended warranty on my Mercedes CL and when the Active Body Control (electro-hydraulic suspension) started acting up I learned that wasn't covered either. Because the ABC struts (leaking after four years) were considered 'shocks' and hence a 'wear item'. Dealer charged $2400 each to replace them. Traded that car in a short while later, and won't even buy a car with air suspension now.

This car is still under its factory warranty coverage, so discussion of extended plans is somewhat academic for the moment.

Is there a number to call to bring Volvo Corporate in on this matter? Or better yet an email address?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I have read this whole thread and this is clearly bulls***t. Carrying voltage meters, battery chargers etc. The car is supposed to start under normal conditions- every time.
Leaving people stranded and Volvo and it's dealers not providing any help with clear answers. This doesn't normally happen with other cars (generally speaking) at least not on a consistent basis. There is clearly something wrong here and Volvo is not doing anything to alleviate it. I pay over 40k for a car I expect it to start consistently at least within 3 years (warranty period) and if not THEN FIX IT. BMS resets, messages on dash- all garbage. Fix the damn car! (Although none of this happened to me -it just my blood boil). Nice ads, nice marketing friendly faces- but the car doesn't start- can't play the radio- got run into a store- come on - gimme a break!
Driving to dealer is not easy for op. And dealer was saying nothing wrong. Call Volvo of course, but leave the car undrivable at home while waiting? Not a good idea.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
PM MyVolvoS60 here. He has several helpful escalation email addresses. Meanwhile search for volvo customer support website and you can start from there for a slow start. But you want to use escalation to get it addressed quickly before warranty expires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went the the dealership yesterday, had them test it and told them before they did it that it took my 2 + hours to get there, so I really wanted it replaced. Turns out they did, which was great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Went the the dealership yesterday, had them test it and told them before they did it that it took my 2 + hours to get there, so I really wanted it replaced. Turns out they did, which was great.
Can you explain further what you told them? Mine left me stranded twice, and the dealer kept the car from Monday to Thursday and said there's nothing wrong with it. I even emailed them some of the 'interesting' messages I got on the display while trying to start the car:

Has anyone else seen these messages while trying to start their car? Unfortunately I've had more electrical issues, which is making me wonder if the car had undisclosed flood damage or something. Nothing showed in Carfax, but I know that doesn't mean much.

They charged the battery and said it's holding a charge, and for the first day I didn't even get the "Low Battery" warning. But it came back and I'm back to where I was.

The car's going back tomorrow because the A/C isn't working now. I wanted to take it last week but the dealer was short-staffed and couldn't look at it. So i'm looking at my third consecutive week without the car, which is still under factory warranty. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with a modern car so I'm sort of flummoxed here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For what it is worth, a battery with low charge level could be causing all sorts of problems when the engine is not running, and the alternator is not producing electricity. One would expect these issues to disappear when the engine is running. My best guess based on what you report is that when you take the car to the dealer, he immediately charges up the battery, and the car operates normally, so he turns around and tells you he can't find a problem. If there is a defect in the charging system, the dealer should be able to find the problem, and fix it.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Can you explain further what you told them? Mine left me stranded twice, and the dealer kept the car from Monday to Thursday and said there's nothing wrong with it. I even emailed them some of the 'interesting' messages I got on the display while trying to start the car:

Has anyone else seen these messages while trying to start their car? Unfortunately I've had more electrical issues, which is making me wonder if the car had undisclosed flood damage or something. Nothing showed in Carfax, but I know that doesn't mean much.

They charged the battery and said it's holding a charge, and for the first day I didn't even get the "Low Battery" warning. But it came back and I'm back to where I was.

The car's going back tomorrow because the A/C isn't working now. I wanted to take it last week but the dealer was short-staffed and couldn't look at it. So i'm looking at my third consecutive week without the car, which is still under factory warranty. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with a modern car so I'm sort of flummoxed here.
It takes only two days for you to see battery low, but they don't see it after 4 days. They seems didn't do much on it. I believe if you monitor the voltage, you may be able to confirm unusual voltage drop sooner and ask them to look again.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
372 Posts
Several manufacturers market automotive batteries with an integral state of charge indicator, sometimes called a "Magic Eye." This is a round button located on top of the battery, with colored balls that float in the battery acid. So you can look directly at the battery, and see if it is fully charged or not. If you decide to get a new battery, on your own initiative, I suggest finding one with this feature. It will prevent overcharging, should you find it necessary to manually charge the battery with an external power supply. I think that both Century and Motorcraft sell batteries with this feature.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts